What's new

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - November 13th (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Beautiful packaging and I love the use of the original road image- My only disappointment would be that it appears that the disc will be the height of a standard DVD digipack and not a HD digipack. If I'm wrong, great- and if I'm not- it just means I can't file this in the same section as the rest of my HDs. No biggie, but I would appreciate the smaller HD sized footprint if at all possible.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

I agree. Messes with my OCD. I dont keep my Blu-rays with my DVDs. Shoot i used to convert snappers to Amary cases. So you know what that says about me.
Id rather this come in the same 2 disc Blu-ray case that the Pirates BD come in.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
That really is very nice looking. I'm not too worried about packaging size but I can see where others would be concerned.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

Look again Paul - the size of the disc holder in relation to the digipak to me looks like it WILL be HD sized.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Thanks David for the "Close Encounters" link to DVDFILE.

Very glad to hear that the severe granularity that was seen at the demonstration at the Sony's Blu-ray lounge event is NOT on the disc.:)
Paul

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
And Brett,

thanks for sharing that link... what an amazing (AMAZING) review. That guy really knows "film" and I'm so glad to see reviewers like him checking out this marvelous BD effort. I also think it's great that Sony has provided lossless in more than one language. Now *that* is something I'd like to see some other studios do as well (Disney did that on their Chicago BD... though only 2.0 PCM for Spanish). Primary language/original language should always get first dibs on lossless if space is limited, of course (but lossless for any audio track should be provided when possible IMO).

That comparison-feature for the 3 versions is pretty slick too. Can't wait to pick this up in the next few days!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I got this today at Best Buy. I was going to get it at Amazon, but the price was so close i spent the extra 5 bucks. Damn what a beautiful movie. I have the Sony 300 (new 3.2 firmware) Blu-ray player, and i watched the theatrical cut on my 50 inch Plasma. I noticed no problems with the seamless branching (if it had any), and the DTS blew me away. This the first time in 30 years i have seen this version of Close Encounters. Just like my 2001 on Blu-ray, i felt like i was in a movie theater. Cant wait to get into the other cuts this weekend.

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator

just to confirm here, yes it IS the same height as the normal cases (obviously quite a bit wider though in profile)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

cool beans! I've got it coming from DD so it's probably a couple weeks away. For $26, I can wait. Besides I just watched it again not too long ago, so it may not even get spun in it's entirity for a while.

But I'm still glad to have it sooner rather than later.

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
This is a terrific Blu-ray edition of the film. I love that they found the trading cards and put them in the still gallery section on disc two. I think I actually still have all of those sitting in my parent's house. I'll have to unearth those when I go back home for Thanksgiving.

And the bass when the ship comes down to abduct Barry? WOW! My entire room was shaking!

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I got this yesterday and was only able to spot-check it because it was such an incredibly busy day (WoW update, EQ2 expansion, CE3K and Super Mario Galaxy).

My player upstairs is a Sony PS3 and the first time I popped in the disc it took forever to come up on the menu, and when I did finally select it, I got an error saying "Video could not be played". I tried again and it was fine.

I got an audio glitch in the beginning of the DC, but after rewinding, the glitch didn't happen again.

I did not check for a firmware update, my last one was 1.9.?

I was very impressed with the video and audio, even on my upstairs system. I'll be watching it on my downstairs THX system over the weekend but I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I just had a thought. It's been a very long time since I watched my Criterion CAV of CE3K. Do we need this anymore? Has anyone compared the extras on both to see if it's worth keeping around?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks