What's new

Pre-Order Close Encounters of the Third Kind Gift Set (4k UHD/Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It looks like it's the exact same disc content, with some additional packaging - from the press release:

A must-own for all true fans, the highly collectible Limited Edition Gift Set features illuminated packaging that plays the iconic 5-tone motif. Also included is an expanded booklet with rare archival photos.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I don't remember the shape in the pillow and I think I've only seen the power station as a deleted scene. Which version are these scenes in?

The viewer's reaction to a scene is personal and your cup of tea may be my vinegar.

The pillow was a bit earlier than where I listed it. It was back at the Neary house the next morning after he took the family out to see the UFOs he just experienced. Kind of forgetting the exact place now because it's been over a year since I last watched it, but I think it's after he makes the cone shape in the shaving cream in his hand, and after the call from Roy's boss saying he's fired. Roy lies on the bed, turns his head to the side and sees a pillow kind of sitting there with a corner pointed up into a cone shape, and it gets his attention and he says "that's not right". Or something like that. It's in the original cut, and pretty sure it's back in the final version.

The power station scene - between the Neary family introduction which ends with Roy getting the call from work to come in, and him on the road in his truck - was in both the theatrical and final directors cuts.

Both of those scenes were definitely missing in the 1980 SE.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
The pillow was a bit earlier than where I listed it. It was back at the Neary house the next morning after he took the family out to see the UFOs he just experienced. Kind of forgetting the exact place now because it's been over a year since I last watched it, but I think it's after he makes the cone shape in the shaving cream in his hand, and after the call from Roy's boss saying he's fired. Roy lies on the bed, turns his head to the side and sees a pillow kind of sitting there with a corner pointed up into a cone shape, and it gets his attention and he says "that's not right". Or something like that. It's in the original cut, and pretty sure it's back in the final version.

The power station scene - between the Neary family introduction which ends with Roy getting the call from work to come in, and him on the road in his truck - was in both the theatrical and final directors cuts.

Both of those scenes were definitely missing in the 1980 SE.

The pillow scene and the power station scene were both left out of the 1997 cut. Obviously the SE mothership interior scene also got the ax.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The '80 SE didn't not include the scene where Dreyfuss was tearing up his yard. I'm guessing S.S. might have removed it because from what I heard, some critics criticized that scene in '77 for being too silly.
That scene was filmed the day I was born.

The 4k restoration will be screening on August 30 at the ArcLight Cinerama Dome. Details can be found here.

Neil

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I'm confused. What's the difference between the gift pack and the regular 4K release?
Thanks.
The gift pack is something to give as a present to someone you like or admire, while the regular 4K is just something you buy for yourself;
but, in truth, we purchase the gift pack for ourselves and pawn off the individual 4K to the other recipient.:D

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
http://www.ifc.com/2011/06/match-cuts-close-encounters

There are actually FIVE known versions of CE3k. The three "official" versions listed here, the ABC Movie of the Week version which combined the theatrical and special editions into one long Frankenstein cut, and the so-called "Criterion-cut" from Criterion's old laserdisc which was advertised as the original theatrical version but actually wasn't (included the UFO flyover from the SE and omitted the pillow).

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Saw it today in Dolby Cinema and it was a tremendous presentation.

The film still holds up. As full of power and awe as it was 40 years ago.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Just came back from seeeing it in the big screen. Basically if you hated the look of the old blu-ray then this isn't going to be much of an improvement.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
OK. All 3 versions are on 1 disc in 4K and all 3 versions are on 1 disc in 1080. Correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks