What's new

Pre-Order Close Encounters of the Third Kind Gift Set (4k UHD/Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't say if all three cuts got the 4k pass or not. Not like I care. The version I watch most is the 1998 DC so no biggie.

I've been watching the Theatrical version more lately (and I've noticed that the Theatrical is the version that had been playing on cable for the last few years) So, I hope all three versions are branched on the 4K disc.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Thanks to Ronald Epstein's updated inclusion of packaging photos, which allows us a glimpse into what's ahead. IMHO the sighting of all three offerings are indicators that something special is ahead.:)
Is it safe to say that this upcoming release should now be refered to as "Close Encounters of the 4K Kind"?:cool:

Last edited:

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
So, the big box lights up and plays the 5 tones.

Just what I need, something that in a year will malfunction and start playing the tones in the middle of the night - making the dogs bark, waking up the whole family...

<_<

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
So, the big box lights up and plays the 5 tones.

Just what I need, something that in a year will malfunction and start playing the tones in the middle of the night - making the dogs bark, waking up the whole family...

<_<
Please this isn't Warner Bros ...;)

Reactions: PMF

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
5b1714f1-92a3-4778-9989-f061b6497afc.jpg

f405682f-23d5-4164-99c9-6201095482df.jpg

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

STEVEN SPIELBERG’S LANDMARK CLASSIC
CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND
CELEBRATES ITS 40TH ANNIVERSARY
All-New 4K Restoration Available Sept. 19 on 2-Disc Remastered Blu-ray™,
3-Disc 4K Ultra HD™ & Limited Edition 3-Disc 4K Ultra HD “Light and Sound” Gift Set
Both Blu-ray & 4K Ultra HD Releases Include All Three Versions of the Film,
Plus All-New Bonus Material Featuring Interviews
with Steven Spielberg, J.J. Abrams & Denis Villeneuve

CULVER CITY, Calif. (August 17, 2017) – Following its exclusive one week engagement in theaters across the country starting September 1, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment celebrates the 40th anniversary of legendary director Steven Spielberg’s epic adventure CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND on September 19 with the new 4K restoration available on 3-disc 4K Ultra HD, a Limited Edition 3-disc 4K Ultra HD “Light and Sound” Gift Set, and in high-def on 2-disc remastered Blu-ray. A must-own for all true fans, the highly collectible Limited Edition Gift Set features illuminated packaging that plays the iconic 5-tone motif. Also included is an expanded booklet with rare archival photos. Both Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD releases include all three restored versions of the film, including the 1977 theatrical version, the 1980 Special Edition and the 1997 Director’s Cut.

In addition to the legacy bonus materials, the CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND Blu-ray comes with new bonus content, including rare, never-before-seen home movies and gags from the set, and the all-new featurette “Three Kinds of Close Encounters.” This featurette includes a new interview with director Steven Spielberg on the legacy of the film, as well as new interviews with directors J.J. Abrams (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) and Denis Villeneuve (Arrival) on the impact of Close Encounters.

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND is presented with an all-new 4K restoration, fully restored from the 35mm original camera negative, thereby utilizing in 4K the full resolution, detail and color depth inherent in the film. 4K Ultra HD brings the full power of this restoration into the home, featuring four times the resolution of high definition, high dynamic range (HDR)--which produces brilliant highlights, vibrant colors and greater contrast on compatible displays. The Blu-ray will also utilize this new restoration at HD resolution. Both 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray versions will feature all three versions of the movie and the original restored 5.1 DTS-HD MA audio.

Richard Dreyfuss (Jaws), Teri Garr (Tootsie), Melinda Dillon (A Christmas Story) and acclaimed French film director François Truffaut star in the story of a group of people who attempt to contact alien intelligence. Nominated for eight Academy Awards®, including Best Director (Spielberg) and Best Supporting Actress (Dillon), CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND won for Best Cinematography (Vilmos Zsigmond) with Frank E. Warner taking home a Special Achievement Award for sound effects editing.

Synopsis:
After an encounter with U.F.O.s, a line worker feels undeniably drawn to an isolated area in the wilderness where something spectacular is about to happen.

Written and Directed by Steven Spielberg, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND was produced by Julia Phillips and Michael Phillips.

Bonus Features Include:
  • All three versions of the film: 1977 Theatrical Version, 1980 Special Edition & 1997 Director’s Cut
  • ALL-NEW: “Three Kinds of Close Encounters” Featurette
    • New interview with Director Steven Spielberg on the legacy of the film, as well as new interviews with directors J.J. Abrams (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) and Denis Villeneuve (Arrival) about the impact of Close Encounters.
  • ALL-NEW: “Steven’s Home Movies & Outtakes”
    • Rare never-before-seen home movies & gags from the set of Close Encounters.
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind Making-of Documentary
  • “Steven Spielberg: 30 Years of Close Encounters” Featurette
  • Deleted Scenes
  • 1977 Featurette “Watch the Skies”
  • Storyboard to Scene Comparisons
  • Extensive Photo Gallery
  • “A View From Above”
  • Theatrical Trailers
CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND has a run time of approximately 135 min (1977 Theatrical Version), 132 minutes (1980 Special Edition), and 137 minutes (1997 Director’s Cut). The film is rated PG for some intense sci-fi action, mild language and thematic elements.

Academy Award® is the registered trademark of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I don't have 4k compatibility yet, but am willing to get the regular 4K set for $20 at Amazon if it contains the two Blu-Ray discs as the regular Blu-Ray set. The wording is confusing, though— are the three discs in the 4k set one 4k disc and two regular Blu-Rays or are all three of the discs 4k? The only 4K set I've bought so far is the Best Buy GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2 and that's because it was the only way to get the 3D disc. Thanks in advance!

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
From what I can tell, based on the above photo (larger photo available on a different site), is that the 3 discs are from left to right BLU RAY FEATURE, 4K ULTRA FEATURE, BLU RAY SPECIAL FEATURES.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Didn't one of the cuts cut back on Dreyfus and his mud-play?

The '80 SE didn't not include the scene where Dreyfuss was tearing up his yard. I'm guessing S.S. might have removed it because from what I heard, some critics criticized that scene in '77 for being too silly.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The '80 SE didn't not include the scene where Dreyfuss was tearing up his yard. I'm guessing S.S. might have removed it because from what I heard, some critics criticized that scene in '77 for being too silly.
I'm not sure about silly, but when that scene comes on, I'm into "come, come on, let's get this over with" mode. Don't like that scene.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure about silly, but when that scene comes on, I'm into "come, come on, let's get this over with" mode. Don't like that scene.

Ok, maybe not "silly" but a bit over the top.

I guess logically, it doesn't make a ton of sense. Roy finally understands the "shape" of the implanted vision, and while it makes sense he's excited that he's finally figured it out, the absolute manic way in which he acts afterwards, grabbing anything that isn't nailed down, destroying his home, terrifying his family etc. doesn't exactly jibe with a personality that has finally gotten some clarity.

But for better or worse, it's one of the most well remembered scenes from CE3K, so removing it is even more jarring.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot

Ok, maybe not "silly" but a bit over the top.

I guess logically, it doesn't make a ton of sense. Roy finally understands the "shape" of the implanted vision, and while it makes sense he's excited that he's finally figured it out, the absolute manic way in which he acts afterwards, grabbing anything that isn't nailed down, destroying his home, terrifying his family etc. doesn't exactly jibe with a personality that has finally gotten some clarity.

But for better or worse, it's one of the most well remembered scenes from CE3K, so removing it is even more jarring.

I loved that scene...

Okay, so that goes back to when I first saw it in the theaters, because it was gone by the time my family got the VHS. A lot went missing with the 1980 SE cut. A bit more with the Neary family intro scene, Neary at the power station, the extended press conference with the military, Neary seeing the shape in the a pillow, "They can fly rings around the moon, but we're years ahead of them on the highway". Much of that being in a photo-novel I had when I was a kid that I read and re-read for the few years before the movie finally made its home video appearance in SE form.

Maybe Roy ripping up his yard and the neighborhood for his living room sized 3D model of the mountain was a bit over-the-top, but how it was cut out in the SE was even worse. First, there was the scene with Roy's breakdown the night before, but the next morning, he seems to come out of it, is rational, and tells everyone he's dumping it all.... then Ronnie suddenly grabs the kids and leaves - all because Roy stares at his first small model mountain attempt after he broke the top off of it trying to remove it? That was a big jarring jump in circumstances. Maybe the added SE scene of Roy's breakdown in the shower the night before was supposed to be a substitute as the catalyst for Ronnie's leaving, but, to me, it doesn't add up with how the next morning starts before the walk-out.

I mean, I've been through family fights, and the one portrayed in the SE doesn't lead to storming out with the kids. But, dumping the neighborhood landscaping into the kitchen window is a much more plausible cause for heading to the hills.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I loved that scene...

Okay, so that goes back to when I first saw it in the theaters, because it was gone by the time my family got the VHS. A lot went missing with the 1980 SE cut. A bit more with the Neary family intro scene, Neary at the power station, the extended press conference with the military, Neary seeing the shape in the a pillow, "They can fly rings around the moon, but we're years ahead of them on the highway". Much of that being in a photo-novel I had when I was a kid that I read and re-read for the few years before the movie finally made its home video appearance in SE form.

Maybe Roy ripping up his yard and the neighborhood for his living room sized 3D model of the mountain was a bit over-the-top, but how it was cut out in the SE was even worse. First, there was the scene with Roy's breakdown the night before, but the next morning, he seems to come out of it, is rational, and tells everyone he's dumping it all.... then Ronnie suddenly grabs the kids and leaves - all because Roy stares at his first small model mountain attempt after he broke the top off of it trying to remove it? That was a big jarring jump in circumstances. Maybe the added SE scene of Roy's breakdown in the shower the night before was supposed to be a substitute as the catalyst for Ronnie's leaving, but, to me, it doesn't add up with how the next morning starts before the walk-out.

I mean, I've been through family fights, and the one portrayed in the SE doesn't lead to storming out with the kids. But, dumping the neighborhood landscaping into the kitchen window is a much more plausible cause for heading to the hills.
I don't remember the shape in the pillow and I think I've only seen the power station as a deleted scene. Which version are these scenes in?

The viewer's reaction to a scene is personal and your cup of tea may be my vinegar.

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
I'm confused. What's the difference between the gift pack and the regular 4K release?
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks