Close Encounters Documentary differences between LD and DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_G, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Hi all,
    I'm sorry, but I searched for the last 10 minutes on this and I get get a definitive answer. I'm cleaning house, and going through my LDs to put up on eBay. I'd like to know if the documentary on the Collector's Edition LD is the same as the DVD. I know there are other differences, but I'm only interested in the documentary. Thanks.

Mike

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    I'm not much help, as I don't own the CE LD (only the Criterion CAV LD and the SE LD [​IMG]), but here are quotes from DVDLaser's reviews of the DVD & CE LD:

CE LD: "On sides four and five there is a retrospective documentary, running a little over 90 minutes, that goes into all aspects of the production. Its most touching footage is of the many anecdotes concerning the late François Truffaut, who had a key acting role, and some of the stories about his sensitivity and interest in the filmmaking process can bring tears to your eyes. The documentary also shows you how to find R2D2 on the Mothership."

DVD: "The centerpiece is a good 101-minute retrospective documentary that goes into all aspects of the film’s production. Its most touching footage is of the many anecdotes concerning Francois Truffaut, who had a key acting role, and some of the stories about his sensitivity and interest in the filmmaking process can bring tears to your eyes. The documentary also shows you how to find R2D2 on the Mothership."

The running time actually makes the DVD documentary sound longer, although Doug specifically mentions the same two aspects of both documentaries. My guess is therefore that they're the same, but hopefully someone else can provide with a definitive answer.

DJ