Close Encounters - any reason to keep the LD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip Hamm, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I just got the CE3K DVD and I was wondering is there any reason to keep the SE LaserDisc? Any features left out, missing still galleries, etc?

2. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Which special edition? The criterion or the one from Columbia? I don't think that the Columbia one had anything different, but the Criterion does and is worth keeping.

3. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    even the Columbia SE LD (featuring the 1980 cut) is worthwhile to keep, as it has at least one short shot not anywhere on the DVD (even in the deleted scenes): the UFOs "scanning" a McDonald's billboard.

note that Columbia also released a "Collector's Edition" LD featuring the same cut as the DVD. Criterion also released 2 LDS: CAV (featuring the network TV version of the almost-complete 1977 version, the added 1980 scenes at the end of each side, the additional 1977 trims at the end of each side, and a large supplementary section with interviews, storyboards, script excerpts of deleted scenes, and more) and CLV (featuring only the network TV almost-complete 1977 cut).

DJ

4. Raymond Johnson

Raymond Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Thats funny....the version on TNT a few days ago had the McDonald's sign shot in it!
    It was when Dreyfuss almost hits that kid in the street.....and then the UFO's fly by & right before one went around the bend..it shined it's light on the sign really quick.
    But i assumed it was the newest cut of the film as it didn't have all the great scenes cut from the original(like at the power plant,"They can fly circles around the moon' line and many other little moments that i loved but were cut from all other versions[​IMG] )...it also didn't have the inside the mother ship ending.....yet contained most of the SE(though missing the UFO by a McDonalds & scanning it) scenes while missing alot of the great original scenes like the one with Carl Weather's.
    Spielberg really messed this movie up royally in my opinion. It's just not the same anymore as he changed so many things around that they don't have the same meaning/impact to me at least anymore.
    At imdb.com...it states that the original prints where destroyed & only a few kept for historical value in some film-archives. Heres a question i would like to know....WHY?
    Did Spielberg not want the original theatrical version to ever be seen again & is such a insecure control freak?
    I really wish the 1977 & all versions of the film would get released in one set. It's only fair & i doubt i'll be purchasing the current dvd or any edition until then.
    I'll just stick with my Criterion LD & at least enjoy the most complete version, closest to the original as possible[​IMG]
    Someones always mentioned they would love to send a pick of them with a copy of Song of the South & giving the finger & sending it to Di$ney.
    Thats what'd i'd like to do with C.E.'s Criterion & send to Spielberg[​IMG]
    Well a fun thought to show him how i feel...but i'm more mature than that,lol..unlike some people.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Wow I didn't mean to start such a controversy! The SE I have is the Columbia box set, which set me back a pretty penny in 1998. Ange Hamm will be very happy to read this thread. [​IMG]

7. Sam R. Aucoin

Sam R. Aucoin Stunt Coordinator

Philip:
    I believe (at least from an LD standpoint), that to own EVERY possible version available, you need:
    1. The Criterion Collection CAV boxset (which is programable).
    2. The 1998 Columbia Special Edition boxset.
    I have STILL not been able to determine EXACTLY what version is on the recent DVD release (simply because I have not had the inclination to watch the same movie three times in a row, all the while noting differences in scenes). [​IMG]
    Obviously, if the recent DVD release is the equivalent to one of the above, then you can safely dump that one.

8. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
  9. Lannie Lorence

Lannie Lorence Stunt Coordinator

10. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

The Columbia C.E. is also worthwhile because it includes quite a number of production stills that did not make it to the dvd.

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

12. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    I've been thinking about trying to find the Criterion LD. It really would have been neat to have all three cuts on the DVD via seamless branching, or at least all of the deleted scenes, rather than just some of them.

At any rate, I feel like the newest cut is the best one. I think the scene of Roy at the power plant would have helped a tad, but other than that, I think all the important stuff is there. And it is Spielberg's final cut (without any new CGI, too), so I'm okay with it for the most part.

13. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Bryan: I have a copy of Criterion's 3-disc all-CAV for sale at $20 plus shipping. It's missing the insert that tells you how to program for both versions but I can get a copy. E-mail home or work if interested.

14. Steve Grimes

Steve Grimes Auditioning

Just for the record, due to a error in the chapter stop encoding, it is IMPOSSIBLE to program the Criterion CAV disk to play the 'Special Edition'. I had always heard and assumed that Criterion had fixed the problem on later pressings, but I now believe that it was never fixed.

Aside from all this, however, the Criterion CAV LD is definitely worth picking up if because it appears as though Criterion had better source materials to work with than Sony. Just check out the the scenes that show the sky in the first half hour, the stars are MUCH clearer and stronger than in either the 1998 box set or the DVD. The DVD does a better job approximating the star effect, but is still lacking.

15. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink

16. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

17. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink

18. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell