What's new

Close Encounters 1980 spec ed on turner Tuesday 06/28/2005 09:30 PM ET (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
for those who were in on the discussion in the closed thread about close encounters on whether or not roy changes into an alien, the special edition will be on turner next week.

i havent seen the spec ed version in maybe 20 years, so i'll be looking forward to seeing the added scenes.

another thing is that it has been said that r2d2 is on the bottom of the mother ship at the end of the movie.
i cant find it.
can anyone see it?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I checked TCM's website and I did not see anything that indicated that the broadcast was going to be the 1980 SE. In fact the running time is listed as 137 minutes, which I believe is the running time of the 1997 version. Where did you see that it was going to be the 1980 SE?

I don't think it's a literal R2-D2, but there is something hanging off the ship that is in the shape of R2-D2 upside down. It can be seen during one of the close up shots of the ship rising over the mountain. Hope that helps.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

No, is IS an actual R2-D2 (I have just recently read an old interview with Dennis Muren in Starlog regarding this, as I recall he said it was one of the early maquette prototypes that was given to him by someone at ILM), you haven't seen the documentary on the SE DVD I take it?

Here it is (it is silhouetted in front of the three lights):

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
thats perfect kevin.
i still havent watched the doc yet.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Oh man, if you have the SE then watch it by all means! Trust me, it is one of the better doc's out there you will see.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I have seen the Doc, but I suppose I stand corrected, that screeshot does look pretty detailed. Somehow I remembered it less distinct. Although, what I can never find is the C-3P0 and R2-D2 hieroglyphic in Raiders of the Lost ark (I know the doc for those films points it out as well.) or ET in the senate scenes in "The Phantom Menace" and "Attack of the Clones"

Also, can anyone confirm if TCM will indeed be showing the 1980 SE of CE3K. As far as I can see, it is going to be the 1997 version.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well, now i'm not sure.
from tcm guide:
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind (1977) A blue-collar worker's encounter with a UFO leaves him a changed man. Richard Dreyfuss, Francois Truffaut, Teri Garr. D: Steven Spielberg. C 137m. LBX CC.

1977 date
137 min

from tivo guide:
this special edition of steven spielberg's 1977 film .....includes additional scenes.

1980 date
132 mins

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Why not just get the DVD and watch its deleted scenes? Aren't all of those pieces included there? I thought they were...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i dont think all the deleted scenes are included.

there is a scene inside the ship but it still seems like something else is missing.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

I think all the scenes that originally appeared in the 1980 SE are on the DVD (either in the film itself or in the deleted scenes), but I'm not sure. I do know of at least one scene from the original 1977 version that's not there, though.

While it is nice to have all those scenes there, I wish they were organized a little better. I don't think it would have taken much effort to separate them into columns of "From 1977 version," "From 1980 version," and "Deleted altogether," or something like that. I think a couple of them are even full versions of scenes that were trimmed and included in one of the versions.

Actually, I think the best idea would have been to have all three versions of the movie on there via seamless branching. (However, I do think the '97 cut is the best one, so I'm not complaining too much. :))

WillG

Senior HTF Member

The 30th anniversary of the film is in two years. It would be great if a package was released with all three cuts of the film. I wonder if Spielberg would be game for that. He did allow the original cut of E.T. to be released in the same package as the new cut. Also there was a Criterion Laserdisc of CE3K that allowed you to view whichever cut you desired. So maybe we could get the same on DVD.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
it's on right now. i cant tell what version this is and no mention of versions by Osborne.

i'm guessing origional '77 version.

Joe:C

Second Unit
The program guide specifically mentioned it being the "special edition". It also had the release date as 1980.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Missed this last night. Can anyone confirm what version it was? Just curious. Thanks. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks