Close call with an asteroid

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yes, it is scary. And all the more reason to be concerned that fewer than twenty persons or so are actually being paid to look for NEOs. (I read about this at NASAwatch.)

3. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

why scare everyone about somthing that we can do nothing about yet

4. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Because then maybe they'll get the funding to hire another 20 persons to watch the skies [​IMG]

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

well this asteroid wouldn't have been a "global killer" to steal the phrase from Armaggedon. But it could have wiped out a medium sized country. If it were going to hit earth, I would hope that the scientists could predict where it would land and warn the people of that country to get the f**k out of Dodge!

6. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    This is really scary because it mentions that they only detected the asteroid in December. That's on month (or less) warning!! They also say in 2027, a 1km-1mile diameter asteroid will pass even closer but not impact. We are tracking many such objects but there are many more that can come out of nowhere.

8. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

9. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Only 1 months' warning? Good Grief! That's not near enough time; Bruce Willis & Bay/Bruckheimer are probably booked up for the next several years.

Is Charleton Heston busy?

10. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I'm sure that if it was coming for earth it would break up in the earth's atmosphere and be no bigger than a chihuahua's head.

11. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

It's those f&^k$ing arachnids again. We should've wiped those insect bastards years ago, but nooooooo. Doogie Howser wanted to play Big shot colonel. [​IMG]

12. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I just read about this. Man, that is really scary... can you imagine the panic if it would be announced that an asteroid might hit earth? Maybe it's better if we don't know....

/Mike

13. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

OK, here it is:

14. MickeS

MickeS Producer

[​IMG]...
    That's not what I meant and you know it... [​IMG]
    /Mike

15. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

For the life of me I'll never understand why there isn't more funding for this, both in detection and ways to deflect them away. Now there is a good use for nuclear warheads. Blow them up in the path of the asteroid and push them to a better trajectory.

16. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i'm willing to bet that NASA and other spacial monitors knew about this a long time ago. they also likely knew of the possibilities of an impact-- they just did the smart thing by not leaking this info to the media.

think about it: every frikkin night there'd be millions of people outside trying to see the rock coming straight for them. they'd also be running around screaming and crapping their pants at every time a shooting star flew across the sky. they didn't reveal it until the 'danger' was past, and that's just being smart.

17. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Scott, virtually all nuclear missiles we have today do not have the capacity to leave orbit AND be able to alter course to intercept an object hurtling through space at hundreds of kilometers per second, arriving from an arbitrary direction.
    Your pleas are analogous to a 16th century intellectual lamenting about how we are not putting in enough funding into harnessing prayer so that a cure for the plague can be found (HINT: Someone needs to invent the microscope first...).
    You can't throw money into inventing the television set when you haven't even discovered electromagnetism yet! We can't even begin to think of moving an asteroid 2 kilometers in diameter, travelling towards earth at 100 kilometers per second, at a trajectory that we still cannot predict until it is too late to do anything about it. We still cannot predict where a 5 ton satellite will touch down when falling from an "easy" to predict unstable low earth orbit, for chrissakes!
    So, instead, we have to start in baby steps...each step landing on the shoulders of the ones before it...first, we need to put more funding into identifying more objects in space, then we need to find a model to reliably predict where they will go. The fact that we can only guess what hemisphere a satellite will burn up when it enters the atmosphere gives us no hope that we can predict where a missile launched from earth (or an orbital platform) will go when aimed at a spec millions of kilometers away. Analogy: Using a rifle to hit a target the size of a flea on top of the Eiffel tower from New York. [​IMG]
    To put money into a program whose purpose is to stop big rocks from hitting the Earth would be premature at this point...such a program would be making assumptions based on current technology that we know for a fact is woefully inadequate. Better to take the money and diversify it as much as possible...a little into pure research, a little into propulsion, a little into materials science, a LOT into education and observatories, etc.
    Don't be fooled into thinking it is just a matter of throwing money at the problem, as portrayed in movies like Deep Impact or Armageddon! You can't skip any steps...

18. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

So many things to be worried about that if we spent all our time worrying we could go mad. Most people have no idea what they are breathing in everyday and if they knew they probably would be afraid to breath anymore [​IMG] I choose to live life day by day and not worry about such things. With my luck if I worried....I would walk out in the street and get hit by a bus. I worried about Y2K and stocked up on food and the like, of course nothing happened. This has been going on for years you know some disaster we need to watch out for and after awhile you just get tired of watching. Interesting stuff though.
    Peace,
    Eve

19. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

You have a better chance of lightning striking you 10 times in a row than an asteroid of that magnitude hitting the earth. Even then, it needs to be made of extremely dense material to make a noticeable impact. Then again, with a budget that allows us to monitor 3% of the night sky at any given time, what do you expect?

20. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit