Clone Wars coming to xbox live discussion thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CaptDS9E, Feb 6, 2003.

1. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Even though it was mentioned in another thread. I Thought I would open a thread to talk about it. According to the xbox live web site at http://www.xbox.com/starwarsclonewars its coming out next month. On short notice this is a very good surprise as we didnt except it. Its like Mech Assault where you have 8 players per online game with a variety of different modes. I can tell you guys now Clone War tournaments and play will be happening :) Bring on the clone attack ships and im glad i decided to wait on picking this up for GC.

*Updated* I just realized lucasarts at http://www.lucasarts.com/products/starwarstheclonewars/ has screenshots, game info , a press release and more so check it out

Capt

2. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

I've never played the Gamecube version, but having an Xbox Live enabled Star Wars game has piqued my interest in it. Screens look decent, hopefully it will be good!

3. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I just hope it isn't plagued by the Star Wars game curse. It wasn't totally developed by LucasArts so it has a chance at least.

4. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

5. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson

6. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

LOL!
    I'm a sucker for Star Wars games myself, bad or not.

7. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

Not ALL Star Wars games suck -- they're either astonishingly great or decisively mediocre.

8. Michael St. Clair

I can't stand the new Star Wars movies, but I'll definitely pick this up if the game is good.

I'll let some of you guys be the guinea pigs for the first couple of weeks. [​IMG]

9. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

10. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

11. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

What we really need is a new X-wing game. After X-wing Alliance they stopped making them. They were excellent games that came to a end

capt

12. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

I don't mean to be the partypooper on this one, but here it goes.

Clone Wars has the distinction of being the *only* game I have ever exchanged after 15 minutes of playing (GC).

It sucks to no end. Do you remember the Dreamcast WindowsCE games? The ones with low (20-30 fps) framerates, ugly, pixellated graphics, slow action, ugly sound, ugly animation, ugly... well, ugly everything? That's Clone Wars for you.

I haven't read what the reviewers have said about it, but trust me on this one. It could pass as a Playstation 1 game. And it would be considered a mediocre one.

They'd need to completely re-make it and re-design it in order to be decent on an Xbox. That's for sure.

13. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

wow, i thought this game got pretty good reviews when it came out.

i only have owned a few star wars games (Jedi Power Battles for DC - halfway decent/average platformer); Jedi Starfighter for PS2 (decent dogfight game, got old REALLY fast, like an inferior Starlancer); Rogue Squadron 2 for GC (my favorite so far, but HARD!!!!!)....but i was really looking forward to the xbox live version of CLONE WARS, hopefully it's not going to be as bad as you say the GC version was!

14. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

I rented SWCW for the Gamecube and initially I thought it would be another Starfighter but it turned out to be more and I thought about doing an actual purchase.
    Now I think I will pick up this one for the green machine.
    And online play will be the icing on the cake.

15. Jeff_Q

Jeff_Q Auditioning

I had the same first impression of Clone Wars as Javier, I basically let my brother play it and from what I saw I was heavilly disappointed. Many of the complaints he makes are true, graphics are not "the best", some missions are cheesy, and sometimes the framerates slowed down.

HOWEVER, A week later I picked the game up and got past the first 2 levels (which aren't really that good). After that the game is amazing! Flying around in the Imperial Gunships is extremely fun, almost every mission after that was great. Now I wouldn't say its an awesome game, but you can't judge it from just the first 15 minutes. I've beaten the game, and my opinion is that it was an okay game.

The multiplayer is good, even though split screen on a 53 inch wide screen its still too small, but on Xbox live I imagine it will be amazing. One thing that is really going for this game is the music, hope you like the imperial march and variations on it though! Oh and the action is very intense at times, for the best experience I would recommend playing it with Jedi Knight difficulty even on your first run through, it will give you more of a feel of challenge.

There are several good multiplayer missions, Jedi arena battle is one of the best, you and up to 3 other people are put in the arena with light sabers and you get attacked by wave after wave of enemies. Clone troopers land sometimes to give you back up and every other round you get to fight eachother. I tried this with my brothers and a friend and it was really fun.

Another good multiplayer map is the control type with the vehicles. You basically go capture outposts, and the longer you keep your ship in there, the more defenses are built on that outpost (turrets and additional CPU controlled ships), so you each attempt to establish more outposts while ultimately trying to destroy your opponents main base. Once we figured out how to play this, I played with my brother for 30 minutes straight. (This is a lot for me as I'm usually pretty busy with other stuff besides games).

Bottom line is, if your a Star Wars fan as I am, you'll probably like this game. I know that since I've read this thread I'm thinking about trading in my GC copy and getting an xbox copy (and I don't even have xbox-live yet). So to those of you that were on the fence about this, hope this helps. Even if you don't like the first mission or two, give the game a chance by playing at least the three or four missions. (Get to the gun ship and you wont turn back).

16. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

*Resurrection*

IGN has a hands on with the LIVE version of Clone Wars. But it's insider only (so, that means I can't read it). Can anyone with an insider subscription give us a quick recap of what they thought?

I'm most interested in knowing if the 8 players is 2 Xbox/4 Players per Box (Like NHL) or 8 Xbox/1 player (or 2, or 3, or 4) per Xbox (Like Mechassault).

http://xbox.ign.com/teasers/389/389910.html

17. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Quick highlights (without giving too much from the article):

18. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I just checked out the article and it dosnt mention the players per xbox. Just that 8 players can play in a live game. They also say that the live aspect is going to be awesome. The games new conquest mode is going to be huge and will be the first true huge strategy game for live

capt

19. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Sounds good to me. As long as the Lobbies are better than Mechassault also.

20. Romier S

Romier S Producer