What's new

Clive Owen as Bond, James Bond? (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
From the IMDB:

Croupier star Clive Owen is poised to be unveiled as the new James Bond next year, according to reports. Current 007 star Pierce Brosnan is reportedly planning to announce the next Bond film will be his last in a press conference in January or February. According to British tabloid the Daily Record, movie bosses are expected to announce Clive, 38, will take over the role - after being recommended by 50-year- old Pierce. An insider says, "Clive's the one. There have been rumors about Clive, but these rumors are getting louder and louder now. No one at the top will come out and admit it, but the claims it's Clive are coming from different sources within EON, who make the Bond films. Seeing Clive in Croupier brought him to the Bond maker's attention. He looks good in a tuxedo and has that edge which makes him attractive to the ladies, but liked by the guys. He's not hugely known, but has done some good films and is at least a name people recognize."
I can dig it. :)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i thought i read an interview once where he said he never wanted to play Bond, and that the character was totally uninteresting.

Shane S.

Stunt Coordinator
I read an interview the Pierce Brosnan did a few years back where he said he wouldn't drag out doing Bond after he got to a certain age where he couldn't believably pull it off. He mentioned that roger Moore should have hung up the towel earlier. Its good to see that he is following up.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Clive Owen would rule in this role! I think some wouldnt like him though....as he kinda gives the cold Dalton feel to me......but I dig that.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
My only concern is that Clive Owen is 38 now. And Brosnan is going to do one more. So at the earliest we are looking for Clive's first Bond when he is 42. He will only get to do a couple before he has to pass on the mantle.

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Of all the hundreds of supposed "new Bonds" that have been predicted over the years, Clive Owen is far and away the best choice I've seen. He's got the look, the accent and the attitude down pat. I hope this is for real. I can't imagine who else would be remotely suitable after Brosnan bows out.

However, I can't see Owen in the middle of a jokey camp-fest like Die Another Day. Maybe he'll have the same influence on the producers that Dalton did and take the series in a less gimmicky direction. That would be awesome.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
He will only get to do a couple before he has to pass on the mantle.
Well, Brosnan is 50 now, so I expect he'll do more than just a couple.

I also suspect that EON probably doesn't want to keep a guy on as Bond for longer than that, considering how much actors get paid nowadays...

Jason

todd stone

Screenwriter
Interesting from IMDB. his next movie:

KING ARTHUR

Clive Owen .... King Arthur
Stephen Dillane .... Merlin
Keira Knightley .... Guinevere
Ioan Gruffudd .... Lancelot
Stellan Skarsgård .... Cedric
Ray Winstone .... Bors
Hugh Dancy .... Galahad
Ray Stevenson .... Dagonet
Til Schweiger .... Cynric
Charlie Creed-Miles .... Ganis
Joel Edgerton .... Gawain
Ken Stott .... Marcus Honorius
Ivano Marescotti .... Bishop Germanius
Pat Kinevane .... Horton
Valeria Cavalli .... Fulcinia

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Aside from Moore, who in my opinion was the worst bond, the best movies where the actors debut as bond: Dr No, On Her Majesty's Secret Service (Lazenby only got one shot though), The Living Daylights, and GoldenEye.

MY personal list of favorite Bond actors, #1 being the best.

1. Connery
2. Lazenby
3. Brosnan
4. Dalton
5. Moore

IMHO YMMV

Clive defiantly screams Bond, hopefully there is a decent script waiting for him unlike the last few film's.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Never got into the Brosnan Bond.
I think Clive has much more of an edge that has sadly been missing lately.
He gets my vote.

Jeff(R)

Second Unit
The Internet Movie Database is reporting (via The World Entertainment News Network) that Gosford Park actor Clive Owen, an oft-rumored contender to replace Pierce Brosnan as James Bond, is not interested in the high-profile gig. "I think it's too formulaic, too tried and tested and a little past its sell by date," Owen is quoted as saying in The Daily Express. "I would not consider it to be a challenge."

Kenneth English

Second Unit
i thought i read an interview once where he said he never wanted to play Bond, and that the character was totally uninteresting.
This from The Daily Record (9/27/03):

"There were claims earlier this year that Clive didn't think Bond was a ``challenge'', but the quote wasn't his but attributed to a friend. When he's been asked directly, he's always sounded positive."

Hopefully this is true.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I can't say that I like this idea... Clive Owen is well and above a good enough actor for the role, but he's totally wrong, imho. His build suggests a hulking presence, nor do I think he is suave enough to play spy. Dalton *was* cold, but he also had enough 'oomph' in the suave department to make things work. Maybe I haven't seen enough of Owen's work, but all his characters that I have seen exude 'scary'.

My favorite Bonds:

1. Brosnan
2. Dalton
3. Moore
4. Connery
5. Lazenby

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Maybe I haven't seen enough of Owen's work, but all his characters that I have seen exude 'scary'.
Probably should watch the BMW films. They are probably a decent barometer of how he could handle Bond.

I think the problem right now is that he hasn't done a whole lot of lead roles. Maybe "Beyond Borders" may show a bit more range for him.

My favorite Bonds:

1. Connery
2. Dalton
3. Moore
4. Brosnan
5. Lazenby

Jason

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
No better choice, in my opinion. And I would hope they use his strengths and create a new Bond style.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Probably should watch the BMW films.
I have seen some of them... He still shows the same type of 'scariness' as he did in Gosford Park (i.e. the hint of violent acts just below the surface). If that's the direction Barbara Broccoli et al want to go in, it could very well work. Just color me 'skeptical'.

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
Hugh Jackman Tipped for Bond Role [imdb]

Australian actor Hugh Jackman is the new favorite to take over from Pierce Brosnan as the next James Bond. Brosnan plans to hang up the superspy's famous tuxedo when filming concludes on the next installment in the series - and X-Men star Jackman is thought to be top of the list of potential replacements. A source at 007 movie makers Eon says, "A lost of possible successors has been drawn up, and Hugh is at the top. He's got everything the producers are looking for - dark good looks, an athletic build, a sense of humor and box-office clout. At 35, he is also the right age." British actors Clive Owen, Ioan Gruffudd, Jeremy Northam and Paul Bettany have all been put in the frame - but they have now reportedly been eliminated. The source explains, "Owen lacks the necessary lightness of touch to make Bond a box-office success." While Bettany is "strawberry blond - and there's never been a blond 007". Bond director Lewis Gilbert adds, "You can't have someone too young playing Bond because they would never be believable in the part. And the chances of getting a superstar like Russell Crowe are slim because he'll be too expensive, he'll have all sorts of projects lined up and is unlikely to want to commit to making a series of films. Hugh Jackman clearly fits the bill."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks