What's new

Clive Cussler's Sahara news.... (1 Viewer)

Ryan_C

Second Unit
I just read over at DVDtalk.com that Steve Zahn has landed the part of Al Giordino to Matthew McConaughey's Dirk Pitt. I also googled it and found it a few other places as well.

Now I think McConaughey is a good choice, but Zahn? Not to know Zahn in any way, but in the novels Al is short and stocky, like a linebacker. I think he even played football in college according to the books. Zahn is not a big guy. He got the humor for Al's part, but not the size. This has me worried now.:frowning:

Ryan_C

Second Unit
Oscar,

I am not sure, there was a thread maybe 6 months ago that talked about it. It was 2 or 3 I think, and it was some of the newer novels.

I think MM will be good as Pitt, he can play that serious guy with the sly off hand remarks.

I was talking with my Dad, and he thought Giordino was supposed to be of Latino descent or somewhere thereabouts (dark skin, black hair, etc.) How does Steve Zahn fill that description? Anyone?:confused:

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Giordino is decidedly Italian.

Zahn is definitely an odd pick, despite my fondness for him as an actor...

Eman_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator
Excuse me?!!

Steve Zahn? What, is he planning on gaining 50 pounds or something?

Funny, but I've always pictured Giordino as short, stocky, and with a mullet (I don't know why a mullet, I just do.) So he'd be pretty hard to cast, IMO.

Personally, I was thinking Tom Sizemore would work.

As for MM, that's ok. I'll be interested to see who they pick for Rudi Gunn, Massarde, and Eva Rojas.

Now if only they can find a way to raise James Coburn from the dead to play Sandecker...:)

RobertW

Supporting Actor
word from clive's publicist is that this news is premature, and giordino has not yet been cast.

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
I wonder if Clive Cussler is going to play...Clive Cussler? I believe he appears in every Dirk Pitt book for a short bit, and Pitt never knows who he is.

Can't say I've ever thought of Giordino with a mullet, but I was watching "The Crimson Pirate" the other night, and immediately thought "that's Giordino!" upon seeing Burt Lancaster's mute sidekick.

I'll reserve judgment on Steve Zahn until I hear more about his transformation.

Agree that James Coburn would have been perfect for Sandecker. I could see Robert Duvall in this role since Sandecker is supposed to be a feisty "banty rooster" type.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if Clive Cussler is going to play...Clive Cussler? I believe he appears in every Dirk Pitt book for a short bit, and Pitt never knows who he is.
Only the latter ones. It was cute, at first, but in one of the more recent ones it was used as a particularly painful way of giving Dirk (and the reader) information they otherwise couldn't get. Annoyed me to the point where I moved Cussler down from "buy hardcover" to "buy paperback, maybe, if you've got a long bus trip coming up".

Ryan_C

Second Unit
Jason,

Do you remember which book that was? I don't recall his apprearance in any of the books being anything other than giving them a helping hand, but not helping to the point where he was a key player in the ending, so to speak.

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
The first book he appeared in was Dragon. He's been in a cameo, and sometimes (with Atlantis Found) played a key role in an escape, ever since.

He makes an appearance in the latest one, Trojan Odyssey (about a megalomaniac who builds a ship made entirely of condoms)...After finishing TO, I'd have to conclude that this might be the last Pitt book. Without giving anything away, it wraps up every character with a finality nobody can mistake.

Zahn is a scary choice. Cussler has reportedly sued Voyager (the producers) to kill the multi-film deal. He doesn't like the script for Sahara (it deviates too mmuch from the book), and finds Pitt in a shootout in a whore house. They've only filmed the prologue (Lincoln's kidnapping) so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks