What's new

Clipped audio with Philips DVD player (1 Viewer)

Mister-Mike

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Quigley
I recently purchased a Philips 5990 DVD player as an interim device to use with a new Samsung LCD TV until I can make an educated decision about getting a Blu-Ray and a new amplifier.

Because my older Yamaha amp doesn't have any HDMI inputs, I connected the DVD player directly to the TV via HDMI for the video, with the coaxial digital audio going from the DVD player to the amp via an RCA type cable.

Whenever I start a DVD or use the Previous/Next buttons to skip to the next title/chapter/track, and there is audio at that point, there is a brief (1-2 second) delay in the audio, even though you can see the picture. This also happens when the DVD player just advances to the next title on its own in the normal course of events while playing a DVD and there is audio at the beginning of the title.

I did a lot of tests with different combinations, and summarized the results in a page on my WWW site as follows:

The DVP 5990 player has a very peculiar audio problem

Any ideas what could be wrong here? Is this really a problem with the player, or with the amp?

(According to one site I visited, someone experienced a similar problem with the beginning of files being clipped when trying to play back MP3 files using this player, but I had no similar issues when I burned some MP3s to a CD-RW as a test. I have e-mailed Philips about the problem...)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm not sure if the problem exists with your player or receiver but Harman Kardon receivers have been known to have this issue as well. It just takes a second or two for it to lock on to the digital signal. As you said, it occurs when using the skip button or starting a disc from scratch or when the digital signal is interupted for some reason. It's something I've learned to live with. Others can't.

Mister-Mike

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Quigley
Thanks for your reply.

With my previous DVD player, a Philips DVP5140/37, or even the one prior to that, a Philips DVP642/37, this problem did not exist.

It seems to have some connection to the fact that this new DVD player has HDMI which plugs into the Samsung TV.

The previous DVD players did not have HDMI. The coaxial digital sound cable and the video out from both went out into the Yamaha amp, and the video then fed into the TV via a monitor out cable.

If you disconnect the HDMI from the TV and connect the coaxial audio to the amp with either no video or RCA video out to the TV, the audio is not clipped.

GreenGiant

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
I've got the exact same problem with an inexpensive Toshiba upscaling DVD player used as a CD player and my Onkyo 876 hooked via hdmi, my brother has the problem with a Harmon Kardon DVD player and HD 3 series receiver.

My guess - it's something with HDMI OR these are both cheap players. When I had my pioneer elite CD player hooked up via coax - no problems. So I may hook up the cheap toshiba via coax and see how that goes. I am getting a Pioneer 35 series blu-ray soon and will see how that goes.

I suspect it is the HDMI switching, but a close second could be a delay in the signal from the player (which is what I am hoping).

I will report back in a week or so as I'm heading out of town.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks