What's new

Climb the Yamaha ladder? (1 Viewer)

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
I am in a bit of a dilemma right now.

My plan was to upgrade my Yamaha HTR-5150 receiver with either the RXV 1200 or the Denon 3802. I wanted to upgrade because the 5150 is just too bright for music. But then a funny thing happened.

I upgraded my speakers from Paradigm Titans to Energy C5s. Now the Yamaha suddenly is not so bright. In fact, it sounds very nice. The brightness factor was my biggest reason for wanting to upgrade. Yes, it would be nice to have DPLII, or more watts per channel, or a nicer looking receiver. But for $600-800?

So my question is, to those who have upgraded from one Yamaha DD/DTS receiver to a "better" receiver, was the improvement in sound quality really obvious? Right now, when I watch the Matrix or Gladiator, etc., on my system, I am blown away at how good it sounds in my 14X12 room. Does it really get any better?

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
i upgraded from an rx-v620 to the rx-v2200 and i noticed a huge difference in sound quality. i amps and dac's will be of a better quality (i think :)) and the 1200 is a much heavier-solid unit. however 600-800$ is an issue. i know it would be a pain but if you could bring your receiver into the shop to do a side by side that could be huge. or actually better yet, you may be able to buy the 1200 and hook it up on your speekers and try it at home. if you don't like it than return it. i know this is bad business practice but a lot of good shops won't mind and should have a 30 day satisfaction guaranteed thing. i did this with tweeter. the salesperson actually told me to do this because i was so indecisive. :). i certainly wouldn't spend possibly 800$ unless i hheard them side by side with my speakers though. good luck.

Rich Kraus

Stunt Coordinator
i upgraded form an rx-v795a to a used marantz pre/pro+ amp for less $ than an upgrade to a new "premium" reciever.

i couldnt be happier with the results.

id look at the used sites and follow the same path.

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Robert,

You need to decide on your center channel and whether you want to keep the energy c5's before you start receiver shopping!

Whenever you make one improvement that you can really hear, or at least make yourself believe you hear, enjoy it for a while.

If the Yamaha sounds good with the energys, then finish out your energy system when the center is available. Then save your money for a few more months and upgrade to a new Yamaha that has 6.1 so you can really enjoy Gladiator. Of course you will then need to get an extra energy center for the rear.

After that you can spend money on cable upgrades....then you can start wondering about acoustic room treatments....HAH! It never ends....

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
You need to decide on your center channel and whether you want to keep the energy c5's before you start receiver shopping!
I have decided to keep the C5s and wait until next year to buy the upgraded Energy center...or alternately, find a used Energy AC-300. The thing is, although I asked about climbing the Yamaha ladder, I see all these folks buying Denon 3802s for $699, and I get really tempted. Must have will power. :)
Rich, I have also been keeping my eyes open for used separates. I almost bought some used Rotel stuff like the 985mkII power amp, but have not gone through with it yet. I decided to wait on upgrading my receiver until I find a "can't miss" deal on something used. Until then, I think I just found a used Arcam Alpha 7SE CD player for 1/2 retail that may find its way into my home.
Peace.

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Hi Robert,
I agree with Evan to consider a higher end yamaha. As he went from an RX-V620 to an RX-V2200, I went from an RX-V3000 to an RX-V3200 which I think is equally as good as the 2200. The sound I get from it never ceases to amaze both myself and people I have over for a demo.:D Regardless, good luck with your shopping.:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks