1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Cliffhangers! Why?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank Anderson, May 17, 2002.

1. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Why in the hell does every show have to end its season with a cliffhanger? I am so sick of them. Do they think the loyal fans who have watched the show throughout the season won't return? A cliffhanger for next week fine. Next season no. Of course one of the shows to have started this whole mess is my beloved Star Trek The Next Generation.

2. Johnny wilson

Johnny wilson Stunt Coordinator

They are there to keep viewers interested. It's all about money.

3. Daniel Swartz

Daniel Swartz Second Unit

I don't think that all shows do it all of the time. I thought the last season of The Practice was well done in that they didn't leave us hanging on the whole "Richard Bay incident." I think that they'll wind things down again this year with Lindsey's trial.

4. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Frank Anderson wrote:

5. Chris Lock

Chris Lock Second Unit

Anyone remember the series Cliffhangers? It was an hour, with three continuing, unrelated stories, all of which had a cliffhanger every episode. It didn't last long.

6. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

When did they start using Cliffhangers? The first one I remember is the Star Trek: NG Picard/Borg thing.

jeremy

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Frank: Surely you waited with baited breath for Season Four's "The Best of Both Worlds, Part 2"? That was one long summer for me, between Seasons Three and Four. But the payoff was marvelous. JB

8. Frank Anderson

I was counting the days Jack. The only thing I hated about TNG... the damn cliffhangers.

9. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill

10. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

and The District just ended their season with a cliffhanger...

Chief Mannion got shot by Erin (who I don't remember from any of the past episodes)

11. Frank Anderson

Steve,

You are right. I now remember reading something about that. I think TNG was the second show to use is as a season ender.

12. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

13. Frank Anderson

Thanks for the link Blu. I still wish they would stop using cliffhangers.

14. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

15. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Its not so much the shows that will continue thatg have cliffhangers. ITs the shows that are ending that still have some sort of cliffhanger

For example

Earth Final Conflict-Yes they defeated the atavus. But its a cliffhanger since they just go off into space

X-files-So much for the next movie not being about the conspiracy. They leave that story wide open with mulder.scully on the run

16. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Dallas....Dynasty...Knot's Landing...all so that began the season ending cliffhangers.

I really believe that part of it, as much of the ratings, is to make the chacaters somewhat more realistic. It is like they are saying life goes on and that all problems are wrapped up in 23 or 53 minutes....

The biggest problem with cliffhangers though is when they happen to series that will not be returning the following year...such as what ABC did with Dynasty and The Colby's.

17. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Cliffhangers might be annoying, but they are dramatic, and they keep people talking about a show during it's fallow summer period. What I really hate is blazing through a series like X-files on DVD (having not seen the first seasons in broadcast) and getting to the end of season 1 with a cliffhanger... I have not blazed through a boxed set since.

18. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>>The theory is that more people will view reruns they missed during the regular season over the summer months (and, so, keep advertisers "happy") if the series leads up to an (unfulfilled) climax.
    Are they right? >>
    Well, this didn't happen with a cliffhanger...but the same situation happend to me.
    Before I really knew the internet scene ten years or so ago, I was just starting to learn how to access all the information at my fingertips. I was also around 14 or so, IIRC, (23 now), so I didn't know how to find out certain things on my favorite shows. Around November, new episodes of my favorite show ended a few months earlier than the previous season. So, I wanted to find out what happened next, since the episodes where now continuous. Little did I know that we only had 8 episodes that year, and I had to wait till September to find out what happend afterwords. But, since I didn't know, I kept tuning in to the repeats hoping to see something new.
    So yeah, I guess it does work [​IMG].

19. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Cliffhangers: I likes 'em [​IMG]
    I look forward to season cliffhangers. They are so deliciously taunting. The best ones provide a wonderfully dramatic show with an ending that leaves me screaming "NOooooo!" as the credits roll.