What's new

Cliffhangers! - A TV series comprising of three revolving serials (The Curse of Dracula, The Secret (1 Viewer)

MattHR

Screenwriter
I'm hoping a company like Shout! or Image would pick up this long-lost gem. It could be promoted as "In the spirit of Star Wars and Indiana Jones..." and "From Kenneth Johnson, the creative force behind The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, The Incredible Hulk, V and Alien Nation." There surely should be enough genre fans that would take a chance on its release given those references. I know KJ would certainly contribute commentaries if asked.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Originally Posted by MattHR
I'm hoping a company like Shout! or Image would pick up this long-lost gem. It could be promoted as "In the spirit of Star Wars and Indiana Jones..." and "From Kenneth Johnson, the creative force behind The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, The Incredible Hulk, V and Alien Nation." There surely should be enough genre fans that would take a chance on its release given those references. I know KJ would certainly contribute commentaries if asked.
That is a very accurate description of the series, and anyone who likes Star Wars or Indiana Jones is likely to appreciate Cliffhangers. This series really did capture the spirit of the movie serials in the same way as these modern day film series.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by MattHR
Yes, I understand your reasoning and would like to believe a smaller US company would want to licence the show, but I have serious doubts that a US label would be willing to take a chance on paying the licence fee for what is, we must all admit, is a "niche" series.

When I mentioned to Grant that Kenneth was very accessible and would probably love to contribute to extras, he seemed to think that was a definite plus. I just hope this gets released by someone, even if it is 'down under' and in PAL.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by AndyMcKinney
Yes, I understand your reasoning and would like to believe a smaller US company would want to licence the show, but I have serious doubts that a US label would be willing to take a chance on paying the licence fee for what is, we must all admit, is a "niche" series.

When I mentioned to Grant that Kenneth was very accessible and would probably love to contribute to extras, he seemed to think that was a definite plus. I just hope this gets released by someone, even if it is 'down under' and in PAL.

While I'd prefer a U.S. NTSC release, I'd gladly accept a release from anyone willing to release it. When it comes to extras, however, U.S. releases almost always fare better.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Here is a nice review of the show with full clips of all three segments from the first episode: http://www.horrorphilia.com/2011/06/17/cliff-hangers-tv-series-1979-review.
Seeing those segments again (my first time since it originally aired) really whetted my appetite for a complete series DVD release!
C'mon, some outifit pick up the rights and get this gem of a show finally released!
Darby

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
AndyMcKinney said:
I dunno; I've seen dumber and more obscure series plop out on dvd and they sell well. I think Universal simply hasn't gotten around to Cliffhangers yet. Most of the powers that be over there probably never even heard of it. It's just a title on a list of properties to them. We need someone with a little passion for the show to get something stirred up. I think a complete dvd with the missing lost episode would sell okay; I'm never going to sit here and pretend that it'd be a best seller. The show is nearly forgotten today and had very few stars. But it still probably would hold up well today. I certainly had a good time watching it way way back in the day--

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
NBC has been developing a Dracula TV series to air in 2013 with Jonathan Rhys Meyers playing the title role.
Could there be any better time for a complete DVD release of Cliffhangers? (Ideally including bonus features of the telefilms created from series footage: World of Dracula, Loves of Dracula, and The Girl Who Saved The World.)

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Timothy E said:
NBC has been developing a Dracula TV series to air in 2013 with Jonathan Rhys Meyers playing the title role. Could there be any better time for a complete DVD release of Cliffhangers? (Ideally including bonus features of the telefilms created from series footage:  World of Dracula, Loves of Dracula, and The Girl Who Saved The World.)
Timothy: I second that notion! I would love to see a complete series release of Cliffhangers! on DVD. Darby

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Timothy E said:
NBC has been developing a Dracula TV series to air in 2013 with Jonathan Rhys Meyers playing the title role. Could there be any better time for a complete DVD release of Cliffhangers)
Unfortunately, even if the new series turns out to be a hit (and as it's on NBC, ir probably won't be), I doubt anyone at Universal will give Cliff Hangers! a second thought (much as I'd like to have an official copy myself).

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Still waiting to see this on DVD...

Is there any chance VEI or Shout! Factory will come to the rescue?

I'd say the only chance is:

1. if Universal ever converted the episodes to a modern tape format
2. if they did, then did those tapes survive the vault fire?

I'm sure if the only masters are film or old tape formats, then it'll never come out, since this is a very short-run series that wasn't considered a success.

Much as I'd love the see this come out, it seems highly unlikely. If Madman in Australia were ever interested, it might have a better chance with them as they'd have a worldwide exclusive (see Darkroom).

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
If I were in charge of things I'd make a "NFL Version" of the Movie Heidi (This Movie is available on DVD). It would start with the Raiders/Jets Game at the end of the Two-Minute Warning. Then with 58 Seconds to go, the Movie begins. At the appropiate moment, the Final Score "Scrolls" across the screen (This is most likely the point where all H-E-(Double Hockey Sticks) Broke Out!, as THOUSANDS of IRATE Fans SWAMPED NBC's (As Well as their affiliate Stations) Switchboards to vent their anger.) At the end of the Movie a Documentary about "The Heidi Game" Incident with interviews with those onvolved in the incident. I'd like to see the people who were broadcasting the game, knowing the Game had been cut off for the Movie (At the time this wasn't unusual, if the score was lopsided, they'd switch over to the evening programming and in this case, with less than a Minute to go, the Raiders had a 15-Point Lead!) But the impossible happened. The Jets scored a Touchdown, then the Raiders FUMBLED the Kickoff return, which the Jets recovered and ran in for a second Touchdown. That's OK, the Raiders still lead by a Point. The Kickoff happens again, The Raiders return the Ball to mid-field, but there's a Penalty, that takes them back near the End Zone. The Raiders snap the Ball, FUMBLE! The Jets pick it up and ..... TOUCHDOWN!
The Guys in the Booth must have had this SINKING Feeling in their hearts, knowing what was about to happen next!/img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif
After the Documentary what would happen next! What Else? THE FINAL 58 SECONDS of the Game would be shown, those 58 Seconds everybody East of the Mississippi River didn't get to see because of the Decision to switch to Heidi! /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

It was the Jets that had a 32-29 lead when the Raiders scored two touchdowns late, look it up!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks