ClickStar - consumers will be able to buy & download first-run, pre-DVD-release films

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Nils Luehrmann, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Over the last few weeks Morgan Freeman, his business partner Lori McCreary, and Nizar Allibhoy have been running around to most of the studio heads and several independent filmmakers demonstrating what they hope will be an important new service for distributing films via the internet.

The service will be called ClickStar which if it moves forward as planned will allow consumers to purchase and download first-run, pre-DVD-release films and artist-created entertainment channels in their homes.

Yesterday, ClickStar received a huge boost of support from Intel who has agreed to invest a significant amount in the company, but specific details on the agreement have not yet been made public.

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

This will be a good way for low budget (or self-financed) movies to actually be seen but I don't see big studios picking up on it. It'd be cool if they did though[​IMG]

3. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

The following article from Scott Kirsner discusses the progress of ClickStar and the future of online film distribution:

Downloads Enter Hollywood's Mainstream

As a trickle turns to a torrent, studios and theater owners fret over their futures

4. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I wonder who'd really be interested in such a service. This won't stop or contain piracy. People that want their movies for free will always find them for free. People that view film as art, as most of us here, won't be satisfied with a digital file as opposed to a nicely-packaged disc or two (or three or four).

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

That nicely packaged disc is a digital file. The only thing that seperates that sort of service from NetFlix is the delivery mechanism.

6. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Sure it's a digital file, but it's on a physical media and it's yours. Plus, again, it's nicely packaged.

This is why I don't use NetFlix or any other rentals. I'd rather own.

7. Aaron_Brez

Aaron_Brez Supporting Actor

Hmph.

I have two big concerns with downloads:

1) If it's a movie I like, I want to own a copy I can watch under pretty much any circumstances (as long as there's electricity to do so), on a robust and portable medium. So far, this is a shiny plastic disk medium.

2) Quality. Bandwidth considerations may dictate that content owners drop the quality to "good enough" instead of "amazing". The vast majority of the unwashed masses may not notice, but I will.

As a "rental" medium (or "rental replacement", more accurately), or a replacement for first-run at the theater? As long as they up the quality (I want something better than MP3s are to CDs), fine by me. Since I've had kids, my moviegoing has dropped off ridiculously due to time and fiscal constraints; I used to see a movie each weekend; now I see a couple a year. Bring it on!

As an ownership medium... I dunno. I've had a lot of hard drives crash on me, while I've had only three DVDs go bad. Until I see something more solid than what's currently out there in terms of hard drive robustness (flash would be nice), I'm going to stick my money with the shiny plastic disks.

8. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

[​IMG]

Pretty much capsulates where a lot of consumers are headed.

9. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

Yeah, I don't think this would be for me either.

But about this:

Do you buy every DVD you want to see?

I get at least 5 DVDs a week from Netflix. Maybe 1 or 2 a month of those would I ever care about owning. (This is in addition to my regular DVD buying of a couple a week or so).

It would be a waste of money to buy them all. It would cost $400-$500 a month to buy all that I get from Netflix, when it only costs $30 to rent them.

10. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I know what I buy most of the time. And haven't been disappointed by blind buys yet.