What's new

Clicking / Popping from all 5 speakers, why? (1 Viewer)

Robert Barker

Stunt Coordinator
After connecting an Acurus A125x5 as external amplification for my Onkyo 777 over the weekend I now get erratic clicking / popping from all speakers. When this occurs it comes from all speakers at the same time. It is really noticeable when pulling up the channel guide for Direct TV and scrolling through the channel. Each channel brings a very faint click, or pop. When watching TV and not turning the channel the clicking / popping is not present, or I just don't notice it.
I have also noticed this when watching movies through the DVD Player. I watched two movies ( Pearl Harbor / Behind Enemy Lines) over the weekend to push the amp and noticed the clicking / popping in quite seens. It is very erratic. I thought it was the Direct TV Receiver causing this so I turned it off w/ no luck. I thought it could be the DVD Player, so I turned it off and the cliking was still there. Even w/ the two sources off I still got this very faint clicking. Why? Could it be the voltage coming through the Direct TV RG6 cable causing this?
I have tried to isolate the Speaker, power and video cables from each other as much as possible with no luck.
My Setup consists of the following...
Amplifier: Acurus A125x5
Pre/Pro: Onkyo 777
DVD Player: Panasonic Progressive Scan (Toslink only output)
RPTV: Toshiba 50H81
Satellite: Direct TV Hughes Receiver
Speakers...
Mains: Polk Audio RT 800i's
Center: Polk CS400i
Rears: Def Tech's
Speaker Cable: Monster
Interconnects between Onkyo and Amp: Acoustic Research Pro Series HT130's.
I'm using a Belkin power center to power the TV, DVD Player, VCR and Satellite Receiver.
For Trouble shooting purposes I have purchased another Belkin Surge Protector for only the Receiver and Amplifier.
I have the Receiver and Amplifier connected to a Craftsman Auto Switch shown
here.
Both of the surge protectors are running off the same 15 amp circuit.
Keep in mind that this clicking has no pattern to it and can only be reproduced when changing channels in the Direct TV channel guide.
Any Ideas? Please help. Its driving me nuts trying to find the source. Any trouble shooting steps would be great.
Thank you,
Robert Barker
Austin TX

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
I had the same problem connecting the Onkyo 898 to Citation amps. Other amps, Odyssey, Parasound, ATI, avoided the popping noises. Has something to do with the output of Onkyo that creates the noises. Once I switched to a Denon 4802 receiver the noises were gone.
Weird................

Regards,

geo

Robert Barker

Stunt Coordinator
Geo, Thanks for the quick response.

Once the Outlaw 950 Ships this should be a non-issue, but until then I would like this problem resolved.
Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,
Robert

Yogi

Screenwriter
Looks like the common Onkyo tick infestation that is causing the ticking noise. The only known cure is to replace it with a non infected unit. That should take care of all the ticks in your system:) Or you can use the Tick-be-Gone pesticide to cure it:) Seriously I have seen this ticking issue on more than one Onkyo. Two of my friends were infected with it and had to replace their infected units with non-infected ones.

Robert Barker

Stunt Coordinator
The "ticking", popping or clicking started when Acurus was added for external amplification. With the speakers connected directly to the Onkyo the "ticking" is not present. Does the Onkyo "ticking" problem only occur when using the pre-outs?

Yogi

Screenwriter
Or it could be faintly present (and be smeared by other noises) without the Acurus and it could be that the Acurus is now resolving and amplifying it better so you hear it now. Its just a guess. I would doubt that the amp itself would add a ticking noise to your system unless ofcourse some connection somewhere (on the amp) was loose sending high frequency ticks into the lines that were getting amplified.

My 2 cents.

Robert Barker

Stunt Coordinator
Did the Onkyo 777 even have this "ticking" problem?

All the archives talk about the 797 and 696, but none about the older 777.

Thanks,
Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks