What's new

Cleopatra bluray?????? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Is there a HTF referral link to Amazon.uk? I'm going to order Cleo and the Universal Monster Box. I'd like HTF to get the credit.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I procured an original Cleopatra Souvenir Program and received it today. Now I am waiting on the Fox announcement. The only reason for not getting the UK version is that I am hoping that Fox will fix the Intermission and Entr'acte break.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Yes! I don't think it can be stressed too early or too often how important it is to FIX THAT INTERMISSION AND ENTR'ACTE BREAK.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Maybe I missed something but Cleopatra was released on Blu-ray sometime ago by Amazon.uk Region-Free. I purchased the Blu-ray and it is great in every way and it was real cheap under $20.00.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
WRT the UK version:
1. The image could have been sharper.
2. The color balance is wrong IMHO but can be adjusted to very nearly correct.
3. The intermission could be moved to be sure but I am not too worried about this. I have no idea why they put it at the end of the first disk however.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I guess I am the only person who doesnt give a toss where they put the intermission as I just skip over it to get back to the movie... that being the case it's easier/better for that type of viewing to be able to put in disc two and just get on with it...

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Moe Dickstein said:
I guess I am the only person who doesnt give a toss where they put the intermission as I just skip over it to get back to the movie... that being the case it's easier/better for that type of viewing to be able to put in disc two and just get on with it...
I don't care, in fact I don't care about anything on this Blu-ray, I don't think I'll ever watch it. The picture is far too cool, it's lost all its richness. Also it's far too dim, I'd be surprised if the luminance made it above 60% on any of it, & it has a processed look to it. I saw it a few times at the cinema & it never looked like this. It's gone from rich Hollywood epic to Scandinavian dour drama. Yes, I don't like it.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
If I set the color on my Sony from "neutral" to "warm 2" it does improve.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Billy Batson said:
I don't care, in fact I don't care about anything on this Blu-ray, I don't think I'll ever watch it. The picture is far too cool, it's lost all its richness. Also it's far too dim, I'd be surprised if the luminance made it above 60% on any of it, & it has a processed look to it. I saw it a few times at the cinema & it never looked like this. It's gone from rich Hollywood epic to Scandinavian dour drama. Yes, I don't like it.
I'm confused - how do you know about the picture if you haven't watched it? I assume you mean screencaps, and that doesn't ever give an accurate representation of an image in motion, and you never know how properly calibrated the person's software is etc.
Also, oftentimes, the US release will have a different color balance. I am happy to put my faith in Mr. Belston...

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Moe Dickstein said:
I'm confused - how do you know about the picture if you haven't watched it? I assume you mean screencaps, and that doesn't ever give an accurate representation of an image in motion, and you never know how properly calibrated the person's software is etc.
Also, oftentimes, the US release will have a different color balance. I am happy to put my faith in Mr. Belston...
Please don't be confused, I didn't watch it from start to finish, but I looked at every chapter & bits inbetween, & as for screencaps, they're not always wrong, from what I saw, the ones at caps-a-holic were about accurate. If it is a different colour balance for the US release, then I shall be importing it to the UK. I should really shut up about this, but I had weak moment & had to wade it.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Billy Batson said:
Please don't be confused, I didn't watch it from start to finish, but I looked at every chapter & bits inbetween, & as for screencaps, they're not always wrong, from what I saw, the ones at caps-a-holic were about accurate. If it is a different colour balance for the US release, then I shall be importing it to the UK. I should really shut up about this, but I had weak moment & had to wade it.
No substitute for a viewing, which you have done so I would say that you know what you want and as I always say, vote with your wallet. I hope the US release is more pleasing to you and that it is not region locked ;) I was so thrilled with what I got on the UK release, after years with the Laserdisc and then DVD, that to my eye it's beautiful - but bearing in mind I'm often one to desaturate things when I direct and tone really vibrant colors down on my set...

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Digital Bits: "Fox is also on track to release the long-awaited Cleopatra: 50th Anniversary Edition on Blu-ray in 2013. It's already available internationally."
http://thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents
Here's hoping for a UCE...I'd buy it again in a heartbeat if we got a lavish set!

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
I will also rebuy if music placement at start of disc two is corrected.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
I also bought the UK release from Amazon a few months ago.
While I only spent a few minutes scanning through it (I really need to sit down and watch the whole thing),
to my eyes, on my set (calibrated 46" Sony XBR4), the PQ is beautifull.
If a USA release brings us an even better picture in a big box set, I'll buy it.
Otherwise, I'm very pleased with the one I have.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Originally Posted by trajan /t/298900/cleopatra-bluray/30#post_3958874
I will also rebuy if music placement at start of disc two is corrected.

[SIZE= 16px]Hey, I have a silly question. Does anyone here know someone they can ask as to whether the people who can do something about this are, in fact, aware[/SIZE] of the objection.....

and find out whether it can will be fixed on this release, once and for all?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I thought that waS fixed on the five star DVD with a mail in reissue DVD.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
TonyD said:
I thought that waS fixed on the five star DVD with a mail in reissue DVD.
Fox didn't correct the wrongly placed Entr'acte music on the DVD. They omitted the Exit Music and corrected that by mailing early purchasers a replacement disc .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks