What's new

Cleopatra bluray?????? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I fear that they're waiting for the release of the rumoured Angelina Jolie version of "Cleopatra" based on the Stacy Schiff biography, which is apparently due out in 2013, coincidentally the 50th anniversary of the Taylor-Burton film. I'm hoping that we'll see it Christmas this year instead.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Originally Posted by Andrew Budgell
I fear that they're waiting for the release of the rumoured Angelina Jolie version of "Cleopatra" based on the Stacy Schiff biography, which is apparently due out in 2013, coincidentally the 50th anniversary of the Taylor-Burton film. I'm hoping that we'll see it Christmas this year instead.
Yes, this year would be better. It's not like they can't re-promote it with the tie-in if that ever happens.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
Any chance of a Blu Ray CLEOPATRA? The 70mm restored version is stunning and would be perfect for Blu Ray!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I am glad that Fox has confirmed the USA release for Cleo is just down the road. Now all we need to hear is about a USA release of 1953 Titanic and that nice UK box set of Marilyn.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Mark Collins /t/298900/cleopatra-bluray#post_3921836
I am glad that Fox has confirmed the USA release for Cleo is just down the road. Now all we need to hear is about a USA release of 1953 Titanic and that nice UK box set of Marilyn.

Why did I think we had already heard that the 1953 Titanic was coming in June? Maybe I dreamed that?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Mark Collins said:
You do know that the Zone B BRDs of Cleopatra and Titanic are both region (zone) free?

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Robin9 /t/298900/cleopatra-bluray#post_3922028
You do know that the Zone B BRDs of Cleopatra and Titanic are both region (zone) free?
And so is ZULU, which is by far the most impressive looking transfer on blu that I own.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
jim_falconer said:
And so is ZULU, which is by far the most impressive looking transfer on blu that I own.
Zulu is one the worst DNR offenders of the bluray era. It's clean & colorful....video. Not at all as detailed as it should be. Out of the big 70mm films out on blu it's not the worst (The Greatest Story Ever Told), but maybe tied for second worst (with Patton).

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I know my order is still at Amazon and they keep telling me it will be filled. I think June was mentioned at some point. I am just glad Bill Hunt of the Bits made that report on Cleopatra. I want Marilyn so bad!!! I wish they would blu-ray the two original dvd box sets. I would love to see Somethings Got To Give in blue. I loved how they put all that footage together. I watch that movie a great deal. Let us hope that is what they will do. I really do not want to buy Some Like It Hot again. Well if that is the only way I can get the Seven Year Itch I will do it.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Scott Calvert said:
Zulu is one the worst DNR offenders of the bluray era. It's clean & colorful....video. Not at all as detailed as it should be. Out of the big 70mm films out on blu it's not the worst (The Greatest Story Ever Told), but maybe tied for second worst (with Patton).
Agreed, Zulu is more in the same echelon as the Patton and The Longest Day as benchmarks for mishandled, over-applied DNR--though maybe not quite as bad as the latter.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Scott Calvert /t/298900/cleopatra-bluray#post_3922170
To each his own. I see a presentation of a film I've been watching for 30 years on video, and the clarity of the image has me awe-struck. On the opposite end (in regards to bluray transfers), I'll throw on Rio Bravo, and will be aggravated by the extreme amount of grain that is present. So much so, that it's really un-watchable on a large HD screen. Luckily, the blu was OOP, so I was able to get a pretty good trade-in value for it.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
jim_falconer said:
To each his own.  I see a presentation of a film I've been watching for 30 years on video, and the clarity of the image has me awe-struck.  On the opposite end (in regards to bluray transfers), I'll throw on Rio Bravo, and will be aggravated by the extreme amount of grain that is present.  So much so, that it's really un-watchable on a large HD screen.  Luckily, the blu was OOP, so I was able to get a pretty good trade-in value for it.
There is no real "clarity of image" on Zulu. It's all a digital trick. Anything that should have any high frequency detail has been smeared into oblivion. It's almost like a digitally animated rotoscope. It's horrible and anyone who appreciates film should be against this kind of stuff.
Rio Bravo is an apples and oranges comparison. Rio Bravo is a standard 35mm production shot with spherical lenses. It will never look anything like Zulu, digital tricks or no digital tricks. Although it's not a perfect BD it's not bad...and certainly not any more grainy than any theatrical print I have ever seen.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
jim_falconer said:
To each his own.  I see a presentation of a film I've been watching for 30 years on video, and the clarity of the image has me awe-struck.  On the opposite end (in regards to bluray transfers), I'll throw on Rio Bravo, and will be aggravated by the extreme amount of grain that is present.  So much so, that it's really un-watchable on a large HD screen.  Luckily, the blu was OOP, so I was able to get a pretty good trade-in value for it.
I agree with you on Zulu. Perhaps it could have more grain, but the luminosity and color of the image is pretty much unmatched by any other Blu-ray I've seen.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
John Hermes said:
[...] the luminosity and color of the image is pretty much unmatched by any other Blu-ray I've seen.
That is because of the way it was shot. It could have been a reference disc if treated properly.
Now it is a pretty picture to some and a severe disappointment to others - should have been different.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Have there been any rumors about Cleo getting a US release date? It seems all went quiet on this following the European release.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It costs $10 to buy the region-free CLEOPATRA from Amazon UK. If you can, do.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I assume we'll get Cleopatra released here in its anniversary year (which would be 2013). That's just an assumption, however. I have no facts to support it.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Bob Cashill said:
It costs $10 to buy the region-free CLEOPATRA from Amazon UK. If you can, do.
Just ordered it. It was only $14 USD including shipping :D. Thanks for the heads-up! I can't wait to experience the splendor of my favorite ancient Roman epic in HQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks