What's new

Cleopatra 2525 finally announced! (1 Viewer)

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
From TSoD:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3319

For those not familiar with this show, you're probably familiar with at least one of the three leading ladies: Victoria Pratt (now of MUTANT X), Gina Torres (had recurring roles on ALIAS, 24, HERCULES, ANGEL, FIREFLY) and Jennifer Sky (probably best known for an earlier recurring role on XENA). Being a Renaissance production (Sam Raimi/Rob Tapert), this show featured a LOT of Herc/Xena alums.

And, as Dave said, now if they'll only follow it up with JACK OF ALL TRADES!

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
Great news!

The show was silly beyond belief, but also a LOT of fun.

Too bad this is coming from Universal and not Anchor Bay - they would have probably produced a lot of extras like they did for Hercules/Xena.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory

Same here, I really can't understand how this continued on longer and gets a DVD before Jack of All Trades, not that I dislike it but the other was the reason I tried to catch the block every week, I watched Cleo2525 just to make sure I saw Jack and grew to liike the former but the later was the real star.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

Ditto! :emoji_thumbsup: Cleo was a fun show, one I'll probably pick up if it's not too expensive, but Jack was by far the better show.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I only saw a few eps of Cleo, and they all seemed to take place in one room - their Batcave or whatever that lab was. Was the whole show like that or did I just catch a bad episode?

Sean.S

Stunt Coordinator
Ah. An obscure series that I was hoping would come to DVD. Another to add to the list! ^_^

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

A little of both, actually...

The basic premise of the show was that civilization had been driven underground, and the surface was imperiled by huge flying enemy robots known as Bailies. As a consequence, much of the show took place in a rather industrial-looking underground complex which spanned many levels. But, there were indeed many other locations portrayed, including an underwater city in one of my favorite eps, the 2-part "Hel And Highwater".

http://www.tvtome.com/Cleopatra2525/index.html

http://www.tvtome.com/Cleopatra2525/guide.html (ep guide)

And, for the guys out there...check out this pic. What more reason could you ask for to at least check it out? :D

http://www.heinrichsen.de/cleopatra2...ery/promo2.jpg

Beau

Supporting Actor
I remember this show, if only for the three chicks, especially Jennifer Sky.:b I might be interested in this.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Thirded! Jennifer Sky is the most fabulous, dippy female lead since Amanda Barrie in Carry On Cleo! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

This is fantastic news...

But listen up, Anchor Bay/Universal: we want Jack of All Trades too!

LizH

Second Unit
"The sexiest sci-fi action series ever"?

I always thought THAT honor belonged to LEXX! :P

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I do think that Jack was better. The trouble with Cleopatra
is that it was miscast. An action adventure show needs a strong lead like Lucy Lawless as Xena. Jennifer Sky was cute
but she did no come across to me as a strong lead. If I had been casting, I would have turned to another Xena alumnus.
Hudson Leick was strong enough to hold her own with Lucy
Lawless. That's why the Xena/Callisto episodes did so well in the ratings. I think she would have made a much better lead with Cleopatra.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't Jennifer Sky supposed to be Hudson Leick, but Hudson wasn't interested? I mean, I didn't follow the show's development but it seemed more than chance that they made Sky the spitting image of Leick.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I remember seeing that Renaissance Pictures was cutting costs. I also read where Hudson Leick had said she was negotiating for a tv show. I suspect that series may have been Cleopatra and the reason was money that she didn't get the lead and why she was never seen on Xena in the show's last season and a half.

If money was the reason, it was disasterous for Cleopatra and Xena. I think she was the only Hercules/Xena alumnus who could have pulled Cleopatra off. I thought the show was doomed from that point on. On Xena, there was a story arc that involved Xena's baby being the reincarnation of Callisto. Instead of getting Hudson back, they got someone else. The ratings were disasterous. A week after the last episode of the story arc, early in the 7th season, Universal cancelled the show due to low ratings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.