Clearance above the Pioneer 811?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SeanDM, Dec 26, 2002.

1. SeanDM

SeanDM Agent

I just put together an HT system using the Pioneer 811. The manual recommends at least 8" above the amp for ventilation. I have it installed in an armoire, but only have about 3.5" available above the unit. Of course, I never operate it with the doors to the armoire closed.

Can I expect heat problems with this set-up?

2. RussKon

RussKon Stunt Coordinator

i have an older pioneer elite receiver (vsx-24tx) and it recommends the same 8 inches....i didn't have room in my rack for that much open space so i installed some rear fans...the receiver does run pretty hot without the fans on...

russ

3. SeanDM

SeanDM Agent

Thanks for the info. What kind of fans do you use and how did you mount them and hook up power?

4. RussKon

RussKon Stunt Coordinator

i installed a middle atlantic dual fan panel on the rear rack rails of my rack....i have a pro rack with front and rear rails...i have the fans hooked up to the switched outlets on my receiver....
    here's the link...about $75 retail...(qtfp-2)
    http://middleatlantic.com/rackac/cooling/cooling.htm
    i am using the quiet fan panel...the quiet fans are less than half the volume of a normal 110 volt fan of the same size...
    if you can't find it anywhere else, i work for middle atlantic's largest independent distributor in the us..
    aei electronics in minneapolis...1-800-328-2585
    russ

5. SeanDM

SeanDM Agent

Thanks for the info. I was able to move a couple of things around, adjust a shelf and now I have about 6" above the receiver, I hope this will be enough. If not, it should not be a problem getting a fan panel to fit in the back of the armoire. I will see how this goes.