Clear or white/frosted rope lights?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by derek, Feb 6, 2006.

1. derek

derek Second Unit

I'm looking for rope lighting for my trey ceiling and also for under riser edge. I've read the clear rope lighting can yellow a bit. I'm thinking of going with white (which I believe is also known as frosted.) Here's what I'm thinking of getting http://www.actionlighting.com/item-d...Premium%20Rope
    My trey ceiling is flat black and risers are carpeted a dark cranberry/brown. Any suggestions TIA!

2. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I've never seen frosted rope lights. Your limitation will be the bulbs themselves. They are inherently yellowish. If you absolutely require totally white light you might consider Light Tape. It's literally as thin, wide, and flexible as tape. Very cool. And also quite expensive.

I'm interested in how that Action Lighting product turns out, if it's truly white. That said, the warmth from the yellowish glow looks great in my theater and around my poster frame. You can see both in my HTF gallery.

3. Don.l

Don.l Stunt Coordinator

That stuff looks interesting. How does it work with the splits and stuff? Does this mean you can stop it at any point and make the plug? Anybody used it?

Don

4. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

The way I understand that product from looking at the website is you can slice anywhere you like. It's literally like a roll of tape. There's more precision required when you attach the connector so you don't short anything. Really a revolutionary product. They sell them pretty wide, too. But pricey like crazy. I had the bright (pardon the pun) idea to use a white Light Panel (what they call it when it gets past a certain width) for a backlit poster marquee. A 30x40 inch panel was quoted at around US$900. That's not a typo. So clearly I passed on that for a solution and used plain 'ol fluorescent light. [​IMG]

They have demo kits of different widths and color for $100 that includes the tape, connectors, and power transformer so you can experiment relatively cheaply. I think the 1/2" wide strand is 20' when purchased like this. That said I don't know how "white" their white actually is. May be more blue/purple like those new LED Christmas lights.