Cleaning X1 color wheel - big improvement

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Fred Seger, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Fred Seger

Fred Seger Stunt Coordinator

With about a 1000 hours on my X1, the picture was getting dimmer and dimmer and the colors seemed very poor. I figured it was just the bulb getting old and getting dimmer, and I was just trying to throw to big a picture with this little low lumen projector. The picture was getting so bad that I was thinking about upgrading to a new projector. Starting snooping around here and avsforum to see what the latest and greatest is, and I ran across a thread on avsforum about cleaning the color wheel on a DLP projector( specially the X1). I was rather skeptical at first but gave it a shot tonight and it worked wonders!

I don't have the link to the thread handy, but the gist of it is that you take Q-tips and water and/or alcohol and swab the color wheel clean. (take the bulb out and it's right there)

My color wheel had a "thick" layer of build up on it. The whole procedure took maybe 20 minutes and about 20 Q-tips.

Beware that any damage you do will not be covered by warranty!

The results were better that I could have expected. Looks exactly like brand new. If you don't mind a little DIY and can handle the risk, I suggest giving it a try.

2. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Congrats, just wondering, after 1k hours how many bulbs was that? I have 40hrs on my 4805 [​IMG]

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    What do you think the buildup was? Dirt, dust...??

4. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Neil:

There's been speculation that the build-up on the X1's color wheel is caused by residue from "outgassing" from something in the lamp module. It seems, though, that only a small percentage of the X1 lamp modules exhibit this "outgassing" effect.

THE BOTTOM LINE is if the "clear" segment of the color wheel still seems fairly transparent, then this procedure will probably not be needed.