What's new

Cleaning Widescreen - Advice please (1 Viewer)

Natalie M

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I already knew that dust is a wonderful abrasive. My husband restored antique furniture for 15 years. One thing he told me to avoid, was dry dusting. Ive had my set for just at a month and havent touched it to clean. As mentioned before, I usually keep things clean to the best I can, but in this case, I wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing. SO, now I have some leads to research, i.e., the plastic cleaner. Hopefully, I'll have the time this weekend.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And if you have questions before beginning, by all means post them here. We'll try to walk you through the process. And your husband is most correct about "dry dusting." (Ever see Acoustic Research's HC-6 home-theater speaker suite? Those puppies are finished in a black piano-type high-gloss surface--it's so delicate that AR even includes super-soft gloves along with the speakers; they are to be worn whenever moving the speaker enclosures.)

Natalie M

Stunt Coordinator
LOL, I couldnt live like that, referring to those speakers. It's tough enough to keep up with daily chores. I used to take great pride in detailing my stuff, now it's just another thing on a waiting list. I wish I could get that old feeling back. Ok, enough of that, I've been trying to find out some info on this plastic cleaner someone suggested. Well, we are going to Wal-mart tonight, maybe we will get those eyeglass cloths. As for the solution, I'm not so sure. But I will be sure to let you know when I'm ready to clean.

Natalie M

Stunt Coordinator
GRR! Ok, So we're at Walmart last night and I tell hubby that we should go check out the vision center to get some of the cloths. First, he says "Well, Im not asking them for it, you ask" and then it graduates to "Those cloths aren't big enough to clean that screen, and by my experience, they smear and they did scratch my glasses". Mind you at that time, his glasses were plastic lenses. Then he says "I dont know why you cant use the paper towels, since they are extremely soft". These paper towels are the Kleenex Viva, and yes they are very soft, and cloth-like, but I'm ify about using them. So we are arguing in the checkout line. So, he tells me that he has a better idea, which is to go to a camera place like Wolf camera, and see if they have any lense cleaners. Which is fine, but its a matter of when. At this rate, this screen will never be cleaned. What do I do now?

Natalie M

Stunt Coordinator
OK, I figured that Hitachi could lend a little advice, since it's their product. Here is the response I got, Note the dry dusting suggestion:

Thank you for visiting Hitachi's Web site and also for your inquiry.

Above all, the most tender care must be applied. Try using a clean, dry cloth (any type of soft cotton cloth is fine). Rub the screen, very gently, in a
circular motion. Be as gentle as possible. If this method does not effectively clean the screen, you may dilute a few drops of mild detergent (such as Ivory Liquid)in a
small bucket of warm water. Dip the cloth in the water and thoroughly wring it out. The cloth should only be moistened, it should not be dripping wet. Rub the screen very lightly in a circular motion.
If marks persist, you may want to consider contacting an authorized local service center for their direct help or suggestions. You may also want to contact the place of purchase to find out what method of cleaning is used on their floor models' screens.

If there is anything else that we can help you with or answer, please feel free to contact us here by e-mail or call our support number at 1-800-HITACHI.

Again, thank you for contacting Hitachi.

Heather
Hitachi Consumer Relations

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks