Cleaning WEGA?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Garcia, Aug 10, 2001.

1. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I have not cleaned my screen yet, and the set seems to resist dust accumulation better than any other I have ever owned, but it occurred to me that I didn't know what I should NOT be doing when I went to clean it. Any suggestions or cautions?
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

2. John Garcia

John
    Anyone?...anyone...Beuler...Beuler...

3. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

I wet a cloth in water, wring it out so it's not dripping and wipe off any fingerprints/dust/smudging then follow with a clean cloth. Works great, no streaking.
    And believe me with a 2 1/2 year who sometimes thinks the images on the Toy Story DVD are real (thanks to the Enhanced 16x9 feature [​IMG] ) I get plenty of fingerprints.
    ------------------
    JB
    "These go to eleven" - Nigel Tufnel

4. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

I was wondering the same thing. I bought a 36XBR400 and a samll Toshiba 20AF41 around the same time...both flat screen tubes. The Toshiba manual say's to use distilled water and a lightly damp real chammios. I bought a new one for that purpose but have not used it yet. As stated...the Wega does not seem to collect dust? Nor does the little Toshie. I do however clean around the edge of the screen everyweek with a keyboard vacume...where dust can collect between the screen and the case...maybe it's just me being anal.
    Randy

5. John Garcia

John
    I've got a 27" Tau in the bedroom, and it also seems to keep from collecting much dust also. The glass must not retain that static charge that spherical tubes do, basically making them dust magnets.
    Distilled water? I guess I'll have to try that. My manual didn't seem to say too much about cleaning, but maybe I didn't read it all the way through. I was going to use my eyeglass cleaner and one of the lint-free cloths for glasses.
    I guess I was wondering if there was a coating on the glass that would be damaged or removed by using any type of cleaner (ie; ammonia or alcohol based).
    Thanks.

6. Larry Hoffman

Larry Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

If you need a product to safely clean your TV screen, you can use "Endust for Electronics". It is made specifically for TV and computer screens and electonic equipment.
    Larry.