What's new

Cleaning up tuner "noise" (1 Viewer)

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all,
Quick question. I have a Sony DA4ES and I am having a hell of a time with the "noise" from the tuner. Not all stations or all songs but enough to disturb me. Will a better antennae help with this? I'm not really talking about static. If anything, it's as though the channels are coming in too clearly but I know that can't be the case can it? I notice this more when I play the music louder, during lulls or quiet spots in the music. I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about. I can hear that hiss in my sleep sometimes :frowning: . Just kidding but seriously, how do I cure this? If it is a better antennae, then any suggestions? Do I need to run it outside or what? Powered antennae? Any help, as always, is appreciated. MM

StevieP

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Mike,

I live over in St. Pete and have a DA3ES.
I'm using the original antenna with mine, and I don't notice any abnormal noise.

Could it be that maybe your Sony is cleaner than you are used too, and is just amplifying normal FM noise?
How about florescent lighting? Got any nearby?

I have a DA4ES on order, when I get it hooked up I'll let you know if it's any different than the 3ES!
(Hope it gets here soon!:angry: )

Steve.

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Stevie,

No florescent lighting around. I think you are right about the Sony just amplifying normal FM noise more cleanly. It sounds like the stations are right next door (a few of them actually are right around the corner!). I just don't know how to clean this up. I'm afraid an outside antenna will add to this problem. I receive the stations fine, no static, just to cleanly if there is such a thing. My cd's and dvd's and dvd-a's all sound great so I know the noise is in the tuner section and not my speakers (thank God). Anyway, just fishing for a better sound. Feedback is appreciated.
Congratulations on your new DA4ES. You will love it I'm sure. Hope you have a good universal remote though, the controller with the DA4ES kind of stinks! Just my opinion. Some people don't mind it once they get used to it but I had to look elsewhere. Who did you order the receiver from if you don't mind me asking? I got mine for $640.00 bucks shipped and I really couldn't be happier. MM

StevieP

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

If it is FM noise the only thing that I can think of to do to reduce it is a better antenna!
You could try going to radio shack and asking the sales people for an antenna for your specific FM problem and if your lucky :b you might get someone knowledgeable enough to recommend an antenna from their stock, and if it doesn't help, you can always return it.

What stations are you having the problem with?
I can try them from over here, and see if I get the same thing.
When I lived over there in south Tampa, 102.5 was always a problem, but it has not been so bad since I moved over here about 12 years ago.

As far as the DA4ES and the remote goes, YES I have a universal remote, the Sony AV 3000 (I think) with the touch screen, but being a button man (as opposed to a screen guy) I found I prefer to "feel" for the buttons, rather than having to look at the screen on the remote, so I moved the 3000 into the bedroom (It's large and doesn't get lost in the bed as easy) I'm now again using the remote that came with my DA3ES for my main system, and I am really happy with it (Lots of buttons and no screen) It's also a learning remote with 2 Macro buttons!
I have been using it long enough that I can find most of the buttons by feel.
Anyway if the new remote is as bad as most say it is, I can probably use the one from the 3ES to operate the 4ES.
If that pans out, I will order another one from Sony, or occasionally you can find one on E-Bay (already missed 2 :angry: )If your interested, the model number for the DA3 remote is PP505L, the PP505 is basically the same remote but with out the learning feature.

As to where the receiver was ordered from, THATS ANOTHER STORY!
My brother found a new in the sealed box deal that was so good we could not pass up! 2 units were supposed to be coming from New York, but as it turns out, they are coming from Brazil by boat :angry:
I know what this sounds like! But it may turn out to be worth it.
So now we are waiting for them to clear Customs, I guess :angry:
The shipper gave us a tracking number, and the units left Brazil 3 weeks ago :angry:
We paid for them with a credit card with fraud protection, so we are not worried about getting ripped off that way.
The units are supposed to be Sony U.S.A. models with full warranty.
It's just this waiting :angry: is driving me nuts!
Anyway, according to the shipper they are due here any day.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks