Cleaning TV Screen

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Lockwood, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Steve Lockwood

Steve Lockwood Stunt Coordinator

How do you go about cleaning the screen on your t.v.? I have not found a good method that works.

2. chris beck

chris beck Auditioning

On my LCD monitor and TV I use a soft clean cloth dampened with isopropyl alcohol, using gentle motions from the top to the bottom of the screen. I avoid ammonia-based solutions such as window/glass cleaners like the plague; they do a lousy job of cutting through the crud that accumulates on display devices and tend to leave streaks. I don't know if IPA attacks certain anti-glare coatings or the like, so checking with the manufacturer of your display device might be the best initial course of action.

3. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

I used to use a great product called "Statx" or something like that. I can't find it anywhere now, but it was definitely the best stuff I've ever used in terms of getting the crud off without leaving streaks. Wish I could find it around nowadays.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Here's the most recent thread that covered this topic:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ing+tv+screens
    Avoid amonia-based cleaners of any sort. Distilled water and mild detergent and ultra-soft optical cloths are the order of the day. Another solution is to use optical cleaning fluids intended for eyeglasses.
    Short vertical strokes are mandatory. Also, spray or dampen the cloth itself, not the screen.

5. Chris Chang

Chris Chang Stunt Coordinator

What about getting dust off the screen? For some reason, my apartment is a magnet for it. Could I just use something like those swifter things?