Cleaning the shower door

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Paul D G, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

Since this seems to be an all encompasing group I thought I'd ask this:

We moved to a brand spanking new house last April. I was determined to keep the shower and doors scum free. So first thing I did was wash the doors with CarX. This worked great. After each shower we'd spray with that shower spray stuff.

After about three months I just Windex'd the doors. Still perfect.

At six months I did the CarX thing again.

then about two months later I noticed white spots on one of the doors about where the spray hits it. This isn't on the other door, nor on the glass wall opposite the shower head.

NOTHING gets this off. I've tried Down Soap Scum remover and CLR Bathroom cleaner. I've tried scrubbing with an abrasive pad. Granted it's not as noticable but it's no longer a "clean" door.

Frankly it pisses me off because I've tried to be careful. The rest of the shower is spotless, it's just this one spot in the center of the door.

I blame my wife for using Scubbing Bubbles on it when we had people coming and a tour was expected. I told her Windex would have gotten it clean.

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting the door clean?

-paul

2. Spencer M

Spencer M Extra

Try "Zud" it's a powder based cleaner like ajax. I first used it to get scratches and stains off of the kitchen sink but now use it for everything from car rims to the oven...give it a try it's also really cheap.

3. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

While I've never used "CarX" (not even sure what it's applications are), I've used Scrubbing Bubbles quite a bit without issue. My complaint is that it is not strong enough, so I wouldn't assume it's the root cause.

4. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Not to get off on a different subject, but I post on another automotive forum and a LOT of people there clean their engines in their cars,trucks, and suv's with the wal-mart version of scrubbing bubbles, some swear bye it too! I confess, I have used it and it works good on my SUV's engine too.

Back to the subject at hand....

5. MichaelBA

MichaelBA Supporting Actor

Try white vinegar with a little fresh lemon juice.

Once clean, treat with lemon oil to prevent further stains.

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I'd simply remove the door and place it on a flat surface (kitchen table or workbench) and clean it there. The white spot might be able to be removed with a single edged razor. Cleaning glass doors with something like Comet isn't the best thing because it'll scratch. You could always try cleaners that people use for ceramic/glass cooktops as it's far more friendly.

7. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I don't know if it's feasible in your bath, but eventually we got so sick of cleaning the doors that I removed them and went with a shower curtain and liner.

They are a real pain in the ass- way more trouble than they are worth. Oh, and that white spot will multiply, unless you dedicate an inordinate amount of time to your shower doors.

Good luck though- it took us 7(!) years of messing with the doors before I switched over. I always thought I had it beat...

8. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

My shower stall is an opaque glass that I use Clean Shower on after each use. Seems to have lasted pretty well. I compliment with a decent scrub of "Scrubbing Bubbles" and/or Soft Scrub every couple of weeks.

Interesting tip Todd - never knew the Bubbles were a great degreaser !

9. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Just curious, how many have the clear see thru shower doors and not the opaque or textured glass doors? I imagine the clear glass doors are much harder to keep up? My wife wants the 100% clear doors and I am trying to talk her out of them. Although they do look nice when new...

10. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

You know what would be neat? Those glass displays that have print on one side that you can't see in, but the other side is totally transparent? They use them on store and bus windows. Wow! That would be awesome to get something like that to replace a shower glass door.

- Colton

11. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

They are supposed to be cleaned?

12. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

Took a closer look at this today... Clearly this is something ON the glass. I went at it with a razor and while a spot or two came off, the general scraping did nothing.

There's gotta be something that will disolve these little bumps.

hitting the stores today...

-paul

13. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

Because I know everyone is just DYING to find out what worked...

Nothing.

I tried nearly every single thing posted here and that I've found out on the net and nothing so much as cleaned the least damaged area.

We had out 11 month inspection on the house and they had no problem replacing all the glass in the shower since it was all under warrenty. I even opened up the cabinet under the counter to reveal a sea of cleaning products that we tried. (we showed the shower to a neighbor who had the look of 'yeah, right, you're just not cleaning it' until we opened the same door)

This time, however, we had the glass treated with hydroshield, which, according to the website, changes the molecular structure of the glass surface which makes it extremely slick. So we'll see how well that holds up.

Anyone have experience with this stuff? Just wondering if I should put the rainx on it too. Right now all we are doing is running a squeegee across it after our showers.

-paul

14. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Bummer! I am remodeling a house now and want the clear glass look but I don't want all that hassle. I know people that do the squeegee thing but what a drag that must be EVERY shower!!
    Hum, rain-x?

15. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

Try CLR or KaBoom first. If those don't work either keep trying or replace the damn doors. [​IMG]

Squeegee takes about as much time as spraying with tilex, like we used to. Of course we're not going at it as if we're cleaning the living room windows, but a couple quick swipes gets all but a few drops off.

Rain-x - the stuff you wash your car with to repel water off it and the windshield. Same principle in the shower. Prevents soap scum build up, but apparently not hard water damage.

-paul

16. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

There are some automotive products that can be used to resurface windshields which might be of benefit. I'll be trying one in an attempt to resurface my ceramic cook-top. Stay tuned.

17. Janna S

Janna S Second Unit

I have a question about shower/tub sprays that you spray around on the shower/tub walls after each shower. I have used these products for years, ever since they came out, and I thought they were relatively harmless and nice (maybe there is a placebo effect, I don't know).

But yesterday a friend told me that the one I happen to be using (Tilex) is horrible and dangerous and evil and not to be used except in extremely well ventilated spaces. I was amazed, since it seems sort of like slightly scented water, for the most part.

I wonder if he is thinking it is some other more intense Tilex or similarly named product, like some heavy duty solvent (he compared it to Round-up in its intensity). Does anyone know? The spray bottle doesn't say much by way of warnings, but my friend made it sound like you ought to have on a respirator if you use it! AAIIEEE!

18. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

There is a Tilex shower foam spray this is used to clean soap scum and grouting, not for spraying down the shower after every use. It's very strong smelling and you definitely need to use it with lots of ventilation.

Bruce