cleaning rptv screen shield

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mikey Ber, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Mikey Ber

Mikey Ber Stunt Coordinator

I just received my toshiba 50HX81, just like to know how to clean the anti-glare screen shield..(have kids).

The tv is awesome. Like to thank everyone for all the info on the different rptvs. It really helped me make my choice on which one to buy. So glad I bought the 50HX81. I highly recommend it. The picture looks great right out of the box. Going to wait 6 months before getting an isf cal. Let the tv wear in a little.

2. Mikey Ber

should I use a damp soft cloth?

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Window cleaner is fine (Windex), but definitely use a soft cloth and not paper towel.

4. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Never never use windex or any other product with amonia in it,,amonia will discolor and run the screen.,...

5. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

Use a dab of very mild dish detergent diluted in water to clean your anti-glare screen.

6. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

No matter what you do, the front surface of a plastic screen is going to accumulate myriads of ultra tiny scratches each time you clean it. The more gently you can clean it the fewer scratches you get. The dust itself, regardless of what you use to wipe it off, does lots of the scratching.
    You will have to resign yourself to the fact that the protective screen is an expendable element, i.e. is meant to be replaced periodically. For most folks the TV itself wears out before the protective screen gets too fogged because of scratches.
    Ideally the protective layer should be completely removeable, in which case it can be taken to the bathtub. The best way to clean it is to rub it gently with soapy water.
    More on keeping things clean:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/clean.htm
    Back in the days of LP records, I had a turntable with a rigid transparent plastic cover. I would clean it with a damp sponge. It wasn't long before it developed a haze from all those scratches as I described above.

7. Mikey Ber

Thanks everyone, I don't have to worry about fingerprints anymore.................cut off my kids fingers............j/k hehehehehe