What's new

Cleaning rear projection TVs (1 Viewer)

JeffKe

Auditioning
Hi every one. I am new to this forum. I bought a Mitsubishi 65" WS 65613 and spent most of yesterday setting it up. So far so good. My question is concerning the need to "clean" the insides of this thing. The salesman tried to sell me an extended 5 yr contract which I didn't buy. He told me that it covers all the usual warranty items and it covered a yearly visit to vacuum out the insides and get the dust off the inside screens and the guns. The 5 year contract is selling for $399.00. He stated that the yearly visits alone were $165.00. He seemed to think that the yearly cleaning was a must have thing.

What do you folks think? Do you need to get the dust off the screens and the guns yearly? It makes sense to me that dust would affect the sharpness of the picture. Do you recommend this service?

THanks in advance.

Jeff

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
If you're only concerned with yearly cleanings, I think you did the right thing in not purchasing the extended warranty. I don't know how much of a do-it-yourselfer you are, but from what I have gathered (I just bought my first RPTV as well), basic cleaning of the inside of your set is not too difficult with some care.

In terms of cleaning my set, I am waiting to put enough hours on it and then get an ISF calibration done after I move in June. My understanding is that the ISF calibration includes a fairly thorough cleaning of the innards (at least of those parts that will affect picture quality).

SteveW

Agent
This is what I was told about cleanings from a very reputable HT store in my area. It doesn't need to be done. The guns are in an area that is almost sealed and aren't very susceptible to dust and dirt. The thing that gets dirt and dust inside is actually opening them up to clean them. It is best not to open the set up unless it needs to be serviced at which time a cleaning can be done after the service is finished. These guys have been in business for many years, service what they sell and sell a ton of sets. And they do offer extended warranties too. They just don't push them.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
My friend just got a new Panasonic 53" TV and got 200 bucks off the price because there is a dead daddy long legs spider in the upper right hand corner of the screen. I this easy to clean out?

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
Can I vaccum with a brush my outside screen? Do I have to take any care.... like is it easy to scratch the outside screen with a brush if it is not clean and things like that....

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
You would be surprised how much dust can settle on the guns of an RPTV. Anyone can clean the inside in my opinion but great care should be taken especially on the guns. I have cleaned probably about 5 sets now, not including my own 65" and believe me when I say this, the owners think they just got a new set!

On another note, getting an extended warranty on a large set can be justified as most repairs needed after the manufacturer's warranty has expired, can cost an arm and a leg, maybe even high enough to warrant an new set. I myself have a 3 year on mine.

Chuck, I think it should be easy but he would need help in removing the screen, then determining where the spider actually is located. Vacuuming it out should be easy. But my advice, as most of us here probably will, is avoid the set entirely. Its just too risky to plunk down a few grand for something that has an outright flaw. The discount may be tempting but $200 is not really something substantial enough. My 2 cents of course....

Kumar, yes but common sense rules. If u think the brush on that vac attachment is a tad rough, then don't.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Eric, that would have been my advice too, but he bought the set nonetheless. Thanks for the input on how to get the dead spider out of there.

Royce H

Stunt Coordinator
SteveW, the store gave you some partially incorrect info. The guns are in a sealed area, true, but this is sealed for light, not air. The high voltage used charges airborne dust particles inside the cabinet, which are then drawn to the lenses, mirror, and virtually every other surface inside the set. You'd be shocked at how dirty these things get even fresh from the factory. I clean my Mitsubishi's lenses, mirror, and screen every 6-8 months, and it makes a BIG difference in picture quality. As Eric Samonte said, it's like getting a whole new set!;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks