Cleaning pots

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Allen Ross, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

I know how to clean dishes, [​IMG]

I am talking about potentiometers, i recently picked up a Crown IC 150 Pre Amp off of Ebay and the Volume pot is rather scratchy and i was wondering if this is can be a little DIY project, i would love to save the 200 bucks it would cost me to ship it to a service center (NY is the closest one).

Thanks in advance

Allen Ross

2. Richard Little

Richard Little Stunt Coordinator

scratchy? If you can get to it and pull it out, you could test it to find its max and min resistance then find a good replacement. Worst case scenario is you have to solder the original back in.

3. Allen Ross

there's static for a short time when i turn up the volume, or adjust the balance, or panorama.

are the different types of pots, grades of quality? like resistors? if so can anyone recommend any?

BTW thanks for the quick response

4. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

How about doing the ole WD40 trick. Buy a can, use the red, plastic straw it comes with to spray into the pot.

To get access, either remove the knob and see if you can see entry holes into the pot from the front. If not, open the case and see if you can spray in from the back. Then rotate the knob back and forth to distribute the cleaner well.

You could also use electrical contact cleaner spray.

5. Thomas Willard

Thomas Willard Stunt Coordinator

I also have used both WD-40 and contact cleaner to refurbish the pots in a pair of AR-3 speakers. It took some time, but they now work like new. I had to remove the 12 woofers to get to them, but once I had access to them, they came back to life.

6. Allen Ross

i might do this, now to get away from my studying.