1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning old slides?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Eric Peterson, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I wasn't sure if there was a better forum, so I thought I'd give it a try in here.

I purchased a new scanner that has a built in film & slide scanner, and I want to scan all of my family's old film. I'm starting with slides, but I'm finding that many of them are coated with finger prints.

Is there a product available, or maybe even some household cleaner that is safe to use on film? I think with a quick wipe, these scans will come out looking like a million.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

YES it can be done!! I was in exactly the same position as you. Go get some stuff called PEC 12 right now.

Here is the company that makes it:

Photographic Solutions

I buy mine from Adorama

If you need to see some old slides that I cleaned up feel free to visit my online gallery Mad Tom Studios

Laters,
    Jeff

3. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

I know that you've already purchased the scanner, but one option would be to use a Nikon Super CoolScan 5000 type scanner with digital ice capability. It has the ability to see around scratches, and it also works pretty well for dirt as well.

I just got done scanning many of my dad's old slides and they were in such bad shape that cleaning them wasn't feasible without ruining the slide. My scanner did a bang up job of automatically removing most of the dirt itself, however, so all I need is a little time in photoshop to finish the job.

4. Eric Peterson

Thanks for the help guys. I picked up a Canon 8400F scanner which was getting very solid reviews for the price ($150)

So far the scanning is going great, but I can see finger prints on the slides, and a fair amount of dust that I would rather clean-up the old fashioned way. I tried the dust removal option in the software and it seems to work decent, but softens everything just a bit.

Jeff,
    After posting this, I did some Internet searching and found another person reccomending the same solution that you are. That appears to be exactly what I'm looking for, but it sure ain't cheap.[​IMG]
    I'll probably place an order for some of that tomorrow.

Thanks again

5. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

It sounds like you did well with the $150 scanner - mine was $1,100. The important thing to note about it, however, is that it removes the dust, dirt, and scratches optically rather than using a software algorithm. I've been scanning literally thousands of slides and negatives so I figured that the time saved not having to fix all of these manually would more than compensate for the extra money, and I'm planning on selling it on ebay soon and should hopefully recover most of my money.

6. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    In addition to the stuff from Photographic Solutions, an inexpensive makeup brush (like the kind used for putting on blush) is great for removing loose dust and other particles from a dry slide. You can buy "photographic brushes", but they're more expensive and never as good.

7. Eric Peterson

Exactly! Most of the reviews were calling it one of the best scanners until you get into the professional line. I have about 1,000 total slides, but probably only 100-200 that contain family photos (The rest are photos of the ocean, the mountains, etc...) Depending on the time required to do the cleaning and scanning, and if I decide to go deeper into the family archives, maybe I'll upgrade.

Thanks again!