What's new

cleaning lens (1 Viewer)

MikeHU

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to the web masters and all those contributing. I've been snooping for a while now, and appreciate all your hard work and knowledge re HT. (ok, enough brown-nosing). I have a 55" Mits. w/ HD built-in. I've used Avia to attempt to calibrate to the best of my limited abilities. Picture looked great for past 1 1/2 yrs., but now is looking a little fuzzy or pixalated. I use Comcast HD cable. I've never had the lens cleaned or the set professionally calibrated. Am I overdue for a lens cleaning? Could that be causing the lack of sharpness?
Can I clean them myself (anyone with how-to instructions?)?
Local seller charges 100 for a lens cleaning. Would I be better off just having the set professionally calibrated (and would that include cleaning the lens?) How much does that typically cost? Looking for some tweaking advise. Thanks.

Dennon AVR 1801
Klipsch (love em) RB-35's, RC-35, RS-35's
Paradigm sub
etc, etc,;)

Chad B

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Mike,

I use a camera lens cleaning pen I got from MCM electronics for about $6.50. I include the lens cleaning in my calibrations if the customer wants it done. I don't charge any more to do it, but some customers don't want their sets taken apart. Since I also do the mechanical and electrostatic focus whenever I clean the lenses, I'm not sure how much the lens cleaning by itself contributes to the sharper picture. I calibrated a nearly new Mits 65" a couple weeks ago, and the focus made a huge difference in the picture sharpness. The green was the CRT that was the most out of focus from the factory on that set. On the other hand, I did a 2 year old 09 series Mits last week, and it was focused well enough from the factory that it was only a slight improvement in sharpness. My feeling is that a full service calibration will usually make a nice improvement in the sharpness department, but most of that improvement is probably more from the focus than the lens cleaning. The exception might be if you live in a dusty area or smoke around the set, because in those cases the lenses will get dirty faster.
Some calibrators include the lens cleaning and focus as part of the calibration, and some don't. I can't be sure, but I have a feeling that if you pay someone $100 just to clean the lens that you will probably be disappointed. Another thought- are all your sources looking fuzzier or just the cable?

Regards,
Chad

MikeHU

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your response Chad. I notice the problem mostly with the cable service. However, I am going to have to double check my DVD. I'm using Mits. 480p dvd, and it usually looks pretty good, but I'll have to check out some of the regular movies I know should be sharp. Your suggestion is well taken, I should just get it professionally calibrated. I noticed someone in other posts that seems to travel to several states. Do you ever do any work in Indianapolis? If so, perhaps you would be interested in working on my set. If not, I've seen some adds in Widescreen Review for someone in this area. (We have had some recent re-modeling work done in the house, which may account for some extra dirt/dust in the house).
Anyway, thanks for your thoughtful input, and I look forward to hearing from you re possible calibration.

Chad B

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Mike,

Glad to help! Just send me an email and I'll discuss it with you more.

Chad

MikeHU

Stunt Coordinator
For anyone who cares, my lenses were with significant dust and I had Chad perform a full calibration. Needless to say, the set looks perfect now - thanks to Chad's professional service and expert knowledge in calibration.
Another happy ending by following the advise of those that know better.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks