What's new

Cleaning DVD's (1 Viewer)

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
Depends on why I'm cleaning it -- grape jelly is a tad harder to get off than fingerprints! Anyway, mostly just a little water and a little dish soap (just touch the top of the bottle to pick up a very small amount). Rinse and papertowel.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
A dirty DVD is usually an excuse to go out and buy the collector's edition of that film. ;)

Actually, I use my breath and I have this nice suede chair I polish 'em on.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Officially, use a very soft cloth and distilled water and perhaps a mild detergent. Wipe in strokes that are at right angles to the disc.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Places like Netflix have recommended Windex. There are some concerned about ammonia affecting the disc, but there are non-ammonia versions of Windex.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
There are? At any rate, avoid any amonia-based glass cleaners. Distilled water and mild detergent are perfect.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
From the Windex site:

They may have discontinued the product, since I don't see it on the site, but the Windex I bought for my car says ammonia-free. That's what I've been using for discs with bad fingerprints. Otherwise I just use water and a supersoft cotton cloth to pat dry.

Dave Pobuda

Stunt Coordinator
I've been using my Disk Doctor with distilled water. Seems to work fine on most. It's funny NetFlix mentions cleaning DVD's. Every disk I've rented from them has been filthy and scratched...some to the point where they won't even play.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks