What's new

Cleaning DVD's-O.T., but what the hey... (1 Viewer)

StevePA

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody know of a good method for cleaning DVD's? Just acquired a Japanese "Space Battleship Yamato" set, and one of the discs has that great mold release/hard plastic funk-like stain that's guarenteed to make you player smoke and throw itself out the window...:laugh:

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
I assume you mean that smudgy grease stain that lots of people have been noticing lately on Paramount's TV releases?

I've been using a bit of rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol and a soft cloth or cotton ball to wipe that stuff off. Sometimes it takes a bit of work, but seems to do the trick. Then a quick rinse under some running water and buff dry with another cloth. It's been working for me so far, although there have been some instances where I couldn't clean the disks perfectly. But even those disks don't seem to have any playback problems in any case.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The common recommendation is Windex. But some people are concerned about the ammonia in the common version. If you can find the type that doesn't have ammonia, it's worth a try.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Jump up and down, swear and then buy a replacement copy ... then, stop posting non TV show on DVD related topics and post it in the right forum.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I always find, for normal cleaning - not the real bad stain you mention, I just use very soft tissue or toilet paper, wet first, wipe the disc good, then dry with another piece.

Any worse than that and I run it thru my DVD Doctor.

StevePA

Stunt Coordinator
...and correct, "Space Battleship Yamato" is indeed a TV series...AKA "Starblazers" to most US viewers.

Thanks for the advice-I'll see what happens.

BobSchneider

Second Unit

Yeah alcohol has always work for me, but if you use water, use distilled water other wise with tap water you'll leave mineral deposit that can scrach your disks with time.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks