Cleaning DVD Players

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Johnny Angell, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Has anyone had any experience or need to have their dvd player serviced or cleaned? Anyone use one of those kits you can find at best buy to clean the player, not the dvd?

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i've never had to use any of the cleaners. most of them typically involve some sort of brush assembly on the cd. that scares me. i hate the idea of a brush "slamming" against my laser assembly. i'm just too afraid that it'll "knock" something out of alignment or something.

i'm sure it's not that bad because those things are still around, but who wants to chance it.

i just open my components up once in a while and blow some compressed air in there.

that should more than suffice.

3. David Glenn

David Glenn Second Unit

^ any more opinions on this subject?

4. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

An older DVD player of mine required cleaning once (the space heater that was near it put out a lot of soot). The DVD player had gradually stopped playing dual-layer disks, then all disks.

I cleaned it by opening it and rubbing the lens with alchohol and a cotton swab. Worked great after that. Still working.

5. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I picked up one of those brush on a cd cleaners and it works terrific. Every month i use it because the area its in gets dusty. You can tell when its dusty because the dvd's pause, skip and so on

capt

6. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

If you live in a smoke-free house, you do not heat with coal or wood, and you don't play discs that are dirty (CLEAN THOSE RENTALS) you could probably get away with NEVER cleaning a DVD player lens. If you are in a smokey environment, then yes - the lens may haze over after time, at which time a "wet cleaning" process will need to take place.

Most drives are direct-drive - so - unlike a VCR with belts that crack and glaze over time (especially with smoke), the only thing that really COULD need cleaning is the lens.

Remember, cleaning is an abrasive, invasive process. Don't do it unless you have to.

-Scott