What's new

cleaning dust off equipment (1 Viewer)

james st. james

Auditioning
i have a black entertainment center, speakers, and components that seem to suck up all the dust in a three mile radius. what is the best way to clean dust of equipment, tv screens, and whatnot? are the usual things like pledge safe for electronic equipment?

thanks.

jeff cr

Agent
i wouldn't use anything on the components themselves other than vacuuming them of. i have a small dustbuster that i use for the components and the tv screen i use windex. you could use pledge on the cabinet itself but make sure not to get it on the components.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Use a small vacuum-cleaner attachment with brush-like ends. As for the TV screen, you might want to avoid amonia-based glass cleaners such as Windex. Why not go to an optomerist's office and see if you can purchase a non-amonia-based spray cleaner intended for protective-coated eye glasses? Failing that, use a very mild detergent mixed with water. Apply the spray or detergent solution to the cloth, and wipe the screen in vertical motions (very gently). Use the softest-possible cloth.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i also wouldn't use pledge-type products on the equipment. it tends to leave a "greasy" feel.

obviously, don't spray whatever cleansing product directly on the components...especially if it has vents!

i usually just use a soft cloth...no cleaning stuff on it. when i'm really motivated, i'll even bust out a q-tip to clean the nook and crannies!

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
I use Pledge Grab-Its. No greasy residue that I can feel. These are perfect for any kind of stereo equipment and actually pick up the dust instead of just spreading it around. I use this on my TV screen as well as normal ol' Windex. Been using these products for years and my system looks brand new.

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
arent those grabits based on static electricity? i probably wouldnt want to put those near electrical equipment. its probably only a slight risk, but its undue risk none the less...

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
No risk at all. They don't work by static electricity, but by being treated with a small amount of Pledge.

Mr. Brian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
I use a Chamois cloth, the kind that's usually used for cars. Just get a little section of it wet with water and use it to clean all the equipment. It's perfect for TV screens as well. All the dust will come up and no smudges or streaks.

Brian

Robley

Grip
I use Endust for Electronics. I have a can in computer room

and a can by h.t. stuff.works good on t.v screen as well as

cabinet and receiver.

Luis A

Second Unit
I use Billy Bags audio duster every morning before I turn my equipment on. The duster doesn't just "spread" the dust around, it attracts it like a magnet.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Similar concept here is the Swiffer Duster. These things are a God send. They pick the dust up and can be used in between components and the rack. They are outstanding.

Shervin

Agent
I have had pretty good results with pledge for electronics, but it ishard to find. I use the air duster in a can often. It is very easy to get the crud out of tight spots.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks