What's new

Cleaning an LCD computer monitor (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I was diabetic for several years so have loads of those little isopropyl alcohol pads used to clean your injection site.
One day I used one to clean my LCD computer screen and it worked great. Have used them for years now to clean the screen, keyboard, touchpad, and just about everything else. Never had a problem.
They're small so probably not a good solution for a widescreen tv, but for a computer they work great.
Don't think I ever even turned the power off, but looking back it probably would be a good idea. What's nice is that you're not spraying anything, it's all soaked into a little pad so no excess overspray to clog up the keyboard, or anything else.
Might not be the recommended cleaning solution, but as I said, I've done it for years without a problem.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Thanks Stan. I was looking online and I found out what's recommended were 2 things. 1) Either a 50/50 mix of distilled water and rubbing alcohol or 2) A 50/50 mix of distilled water and white vinegar. And both said to use a clean microfiber cloth, and spray onto the cloth. NOT to spray directly on the screen. Also they said to unplug the minitor first.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info Jim. I should switch and start doing things properly.
Amazing about white vinegar. My grandmother recommended it for a cleaning a lot of things and that was probably 30 years ago. It's nice to know certain things never go out of style.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I cleaned it with the 50/50 distilled water and rubbing alcohol mix and it worked great. This is what I use for DVD's also.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Monster screen cleaner works great (with a microfiber cloth).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks