Cleaning A/V receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PatrickG, Sep 4, 2001.

1. PatrickG

PatrickG Auditioning

Got a question about the need for cleaning and lubricating inside my Yamaha receiver. The Best Buy sales guy talked me into getting a service agreement that includes a cleaning(and lube) once a year.
    Is this necessary(mainly the lube part, I know it probably should cleaned more than just dusting)? I really do not want to unhook everything and get this so called cleaning and lube done??? Does anyone else have this done or is this a DIY thing??
    Thanks for any advice and/or input on this.

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

The BB guy was just using that as a selling point to get you to fork over the extra $$ for the service contract. They'll do and say anything to get you to buy one of those things.
    Really, your receiver should never need to be "cleaned" in that way. Granted, it doesn't hurt, but it's not really needed.
    Since you've already paid for it, I'd say take it in a few months before the contract is up and have them do whatever they'll do to clean it, and also have them do a general diagnostic on it to make sure there are no undetected problems. Most likely won't be, but at least that way you'll have gotten some of them money back that they took from you.