Cleanest install - Plasma and surround

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Bob.S, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Bob.S

Bob.S Auditioning

I am looking for a really clean install for a surround system, at an affordable price (cheap).

I currently have a 50" Samsung Plasma hung over my fireplace. All wires and components are hidden and I really like the way it looks. (I'll try to post a pic later or tomorrow).

I have a Sony 6.1 receiver that can be configured either 2 front-2 mid-2 rear or 3 front 3 rear. I also have a 100W down firing sub. I would like to do in-ceiling speakers, but seems like they won't sound good if I use them for the front and center (based on searching around here reading comments)?

Can I get away with ceiling speakers for all 6? If I can, are the eBay specials good enough? I'm not going for audiophile sound quality, but I do enjoy good surround.

If I can't get away with ceiling speakers, any suggestions on setup? I don't have much room top and bottom of the TV for a center channel, but have room left/right. I could also mount speakers behind the TV? (has that been done before?)

Thanks for any help!

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

In-ceiling should be great for your side/rear speakers. I would go for in-wall speakers for center and mains.

I don't think mounting a speaker behind a plasma would be a good idea at all. The only time that really works is with a projector and screen (and even then it works best with an acoustically transparent screen as opposed to a "normal" screen).

I would try to find an in-wall center that will fit either below or above your television.

3. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    In ceiling speakers can sound fine. I have a 7.1 system in my bedroom that uses 7 Triad in ceiling speakers and an inwall sub that sounds awesome. The catch is you said cheap. You can take the hybrid route and go with something like an Atlantic Technology FS4000 Front Left, Center, Right speaker that is three separate speakers in one frame. It blends in with a plasma when mounted below it and sounds great. You could use in ceiling speakers for your surrounds, but get something that is matched to the front. I would recommend the Atlantic Technology ICTS6.3 for the surrounds, or you could step up to the 8.3 if the budget allowed.

Info on the FS4000: http://www.atlantictechnology.com/system_4000.htm

Info on the ICTS6.3:
    http://www.atlantictechnology.com/icts_6_3.htm

4. king

king Stunt Coordinator

I have a 50" Samsung in the family room as well...over the fireplace! I put in-wall speakers on either side of the front wall and two in the back. The sound is excellent for it's purpose...the family room. It was relatively easy to cut into the wall and install the speakers.

I placed a stereo cabinet in one corner of the room and ran the wires from the speakers down inside the walls, into the basement and up into the corner by the stereo cabinet. Very clean install. You don't see any wires at all and the stereo cabinet in the corner controls everything.[​IMG]

My center channel is an up facing (polk audio) speaker which sits on the floor in front of the fireplace. I simply move it to the side when using the fireplace. The sub is hidden behind the sofa.

5. homthtr

homthtr Supporting Actor

There are several speakers brands that feature a tilting mechinsim in the In Ceiling Speaker Bracket. It Allows you to point the inceiling Drivers to the "sweet spot" of your listening area. They Work Very well. Check out either SpeakerCrafts "Aim" Series or Russounds "Twist and Tilt". The are great Speakers with lifetime warrenties and won't bust your budget.

http://speakercraft.com/#Products:31:AIM5%20One

6. Liquid Kaos

Liquid Kaos Extra

You could always build a custom WEDGE enclosure that mounts between the studs in your ceiling and houses your favorite mains on an angle aimed at the listening area. This can then be covered by an acoustic friendly material that matches the ceiling in color.

[​IMG]