Cleanest CD Ever?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Rendall, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Here's a question: what is the absolute cleanest CD you have ever heard? What I want are a few CD's which can be used to evaluate my gear. There should be vocals, good soundstaging, and MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, absolutely no audible distortion. If the listener can hear any distortion on instruments or vocals whatsoever, the it's the equipment - period.
    Rock, pop, jazz, whatever. Just looking for a few "ultimate" CDs. Not SACD, not DVD-A, only CD. [​IMG]
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Martin.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Rebecca Pidgeon's CD's from chesky would be my picks

3. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Anita Baker-Rapture(1986) Excellent CD, great vocals, deep bass, very nice. [​IMG]

4. wayne p

wayne p Stunt Coordinator

Jesse Cook, Vertigo. A 20 bit mastered CD using Apogee's UV22 digital process for accurate natural sound.

The entire disc is wonderful acoustic instrumental with the exception of track 10 where Holly Cole sings Fragile. A great recording start to finish. I guarantee you will have trouble getting it out of your disc rotation once you listen to it at a realistic volumes. As it is a very clean recording the only limiting factor will be your equipment. I carried this disc with me when shopping for hardware.

5. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Try Knopfler's A Ragpickers Dream which was just released.
    Remember when Brothers in Arms was considered to be "The One"? Same dude, same result.

6. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

I'm not as big of an audiophile as some of you guys here, even though I have some okay equipment.
    In my favorite genre (metal ie - death/black/doom) I find it very hard to find albums that are cleanly recorded. There are a few producers out there who do constantly put out good work though.
    So, I'm going to mention an album I got recently:
    Sinergy - Suicide By My Side
    I doubt anybody here has this, but WOW does the production of this album blow me away.

7. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm intrigued by the idea of a clean sounding death metal CD.

Martin.

8. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

Steely Dan's Gaucho DTS sounds very clean.

9. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
    Band - Spock's Beard
    Album - V

10. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

Donald Fagen -- The Nightfly. Very clean.

Professor Longhair -- Rock and Roll Gumbo. This one does have a tiny bit of tape hiss, but if you're evaluating the sound of different speakers, etc., this will do you more good than 20 generic DDD rock CDs.

Tuts Washington - New Orleans Piano Professor.

11. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Man, this is tough. I have a bunch of CD's and a ton sound great, but I have to say that when I put on Robert Cray's "Strong Persuader", I always comment to myself as to how good it sounds. Especially for a CD recorded in the late 80's.

12. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

I second Fagan's "The Nightfly"

13. Seth_S

Seth_S Second Unit

Though it doesn't fit into the genres you requested, the most impressively recorded/engineered CD available has to be Deutshe Grammophon's 1996 recording of Bruckner's 8th Symphony with Pierre Boulez and the Wiener Philharmoniker. It's ideal for testing out sound systems for a number of reasons. First, the symphony calls for a massive orchestra and DG perfectly captured its depth and size. Sound imaging is excellent and the recording overall is wonderfully reverberant without any post production effects. The Symphony itself lends itself well for testing home audio systems because of its extremely quiet moments to its extraordinary loud and bombastic ones. Lastly, the recording can also be successfully played back with the volume low or all the way cranked up. Oh yeah, it's also immaculately clean to the point that you can't even hear the players turning the pages of the score.

14. Peter_A_M

Peter_A_M Stunt Coordinator

Even though it was recorded in 1986, Michael Brecker's Michael Brecker is among the "cleanest" CDs I've heard yet. It particularly excels at the reproduction of the drum set and the electric guitar.

NP: Michael Brecker - Michael Brecker (surprise, surprise)

15. Louis C

Louis C Supporting Actor

Ditto on Spock's Beard "V". I am also partial to Sting's "Nothing Like the Sun." Although it is a bit older, it was one of the first 'all digital' mainstream releases back in the 80's, and it still sounds fantastic even by today's standards.

16. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

T-Bone Burnett's self titled country album is incredibly clean. Recorded directly to two track digital with a small ensemble. Also, anything from Flim & The BBs.

17. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

Oh yeah - Lyle Lovett "Joshua Judges Ruth".

18. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Second Rebecca Pidgeon (any of her albums on Chesky), second Lyle Lovett's "Joshua Judges Ruth."

I'd also like to add Jennifer Warnes' album of Leonard Cohen covers, "Famous Blue Raincoat." Immaculate recording.

-AM

19. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Eric Clapton Unplugged is very good as well.
    McCoy Tyner: New York Reunion from Chesky has some very clean tracks on it.
    Also, Badi Assad: Solo is quite clean, another one from Chesky.
    [​IMG]

20. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i also second any of sting's early solo stuff. i've often used the term "sanitary" (in a good way) for his records. how's that for something clean? [​IMG]
    i also really like tom's diner from suzanne vega. i often use "luka" as a demo/evaluation track.