Clean Power... what stage/how much $$$

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Holton, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Jeff Holton

Jeff Holton Stunt Coordinator

Jul 19, 2002
    I'm in the last stages of finishing my dedicated home theater, and I'm getting ready to move all my equipment in.

I need to get a power supply/surge protector/power filter... etc.

The products I've seen range from a $60 stage 1 power strip to a $1,600 stage 5 Power Source.

I know that having clean power does make a difference... I just don't really know how much.

Can anyone give me some thoughts/insights.

A few of the products I'm lookin at are:

Monster Power:
    HTS3600 (stage 3) - $500
    HTS2600 (stage 2) - $350
    PowerBar (stage 2) - $250
    HTS2000 (stage 2) - $200

Any experience with these products?
  2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Feb 5, 2001
    Monster seems to want to cover every niche and "Stage 1 to 3" is just their marketing -- nothing much different than all the rest of the less expensive units (under $400-$500).
    You can do well under $100. Read this HTF tutorial on Surge Suppressor/Power Centers HERE and also click on the link to "Under $100 Units" in the text.
    It probably will mean an online mail order, but you will find a lot more than just Monster so readily available at Best Buy etc.
    Tke a look at the rest of the tutorials. They also are accessed from the HTF Basics board clicking on top at Beginners Primer and FAQ
    edit: I do not mean to imply that you are a newbie and are looking for the cheapest stuff. Obviously, you can spend as much as you want. Panamax makes some very nice units in the 5XXX series.