"clean power" monster surge protector

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by sheldon-VIC, Nov 5, 2003.

1. sheldon-VIC

sheldon-VIC Extra

hey all,
    thx for the input on all my threads, now i have another question. are the clean power surge protectors really worth buying or is it another gimmick?

VIC

2. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

See related threads in the Accessories forum.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

it's a surge protector with an emi/rfi filter. virtually all of them have one in various configurations in an attempt at market differentiation. Hence you could buy a Stratitec surge protection device for about $20. maybe you need clean power for your cordless phone or fridge or electric razor.

4. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    Do I detect a slight measure of sarcasm, Chu Gai? [​IMG]

A surge protector with some EMI/RFI filtering is a lot better than not having one at all, right? [​IMG]

I still haven't pulled the trigger on that Panamax I was drooling over...saving my pennies for a Denon 3803 first.

Sheldon, Chu Gai is right about this "clean power" is a marketing gimmick to say "surge protector with some EMI/RFI filtering." It is better than having just a plain old surge protector.

I was looking at this Panamax model...it's a bit pricey, but you can get it online for $300. It comes with a great warranty as well as a great "protected equipment" warranty, which means they back their product..put their money where their mouth is.

M5100

5. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

Chu Gai has been on my ignore list for a few months because of his nay saying DBT BS and the "all cables/amps sound the same" garbage! Instead of buying into BS ideas and theories, why don't you buy one and try it out in your system. It might make a difference. It did for me.

I bought the HTS-2600 for my HT and liked it so much I returned it for the 5100 just for the cool display that tells me current usage and line voltage. YMMV.

6. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I just bought a POWER BLOCKER 2 at my local Wal*Mart for $35. I'm not sure of the brand, nor am I able to speak of its surge protecting abilities, However; It has made a slight improvement in my cable TV with its EMI/RFI filters.

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well MichaelDDD it's pretty tough to find a point of use protector without EMI/RFI filtering and as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't hurt to have it. Many problems however have an origin and scoping out the source of this is a worthwhile endeavor. That way you can attack the source instead of throwing bandaids and this may prove to be more beneficial. However it does take some critical thinking and in some cases, a particular configuration of EMI/RFI filtering may prove beneficial. For instance, I've posted favorable comments regarding such units as Belkin's Isolator.
    Of course to many it seems that not buying protection and high priced protection at that is somehow doing a disservice to one's investment. The correct approach though is that point of use protection should be preceded by a whole house unit, that is, if you are in your own home. It would seem though Michael, that your particular needs transcends that of surge protection and you desire some sort of 'power management'. As far as that warranty, I'll have more to say on that in a separate posting. As food for thought though, you think Hyundai's are particularly reliable automobiles?
    Thank you for the kind words Tom although I don't think you've dug deep enough into what I've said.
    The audio industry as many others are rife with solutions for problems that either don't exist or are trivial in nature.

8. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

What in particular do you like about Monster's or Panamax's warranty?

10. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

The fact they(Panamax) will replace it w/o question. A friend of mine bought a Max1000 that in fact failed(wouldn't power on), he called, w/o questioning why or what, they shipped him another and had him return the other. They do carry a liftime warranty. I've known 3 people that have used this w/o an issue. This with a Panamax.

11. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator

I would be concerned about any product that I directly knew of three people with failed units. Doesn't that point to a bigger issue?

12. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

I can actually speak for Monster's warranty on connected equipment and warranties on there products. They are very accomodating with CEG claims on anything connected to their bars, and I have played in bands with people who have replaced HEAVILY worn out (abused) cables under there lifetime cable guarantee.

13. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    Ah, I was just poking at you a little, Chu. It's all good. [​IMG]

Actually, I wish I could afford power management as in a voltage regulated, surge supressing device, ala an AVR UPS used for PCs. They are mighty expensive once you get into the ones for HT. [​IMG]

I have seen from personal experience that even a "cheapie" Belkin or Monster surpressor w/EMI/RFI filtering makes a noticeable difference in the quality of picture and sound.

14. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Tell me more about what was replaced under the attached equipment warranty Mike and how it was handled if you would. I'm aware of their cables and my son has a couple for his guitar although generally what's abused is my ears when he and his friends get together.
    An intersting observation John. When point of use devices fail, especially if that's related to some sort of surge, it points to a couple of things. Firstly, the unit was undersized and incapable of surviving a modest transient. I note, that no comment was made how other appliances in the people's homes were damaged such as clock radios, microwaves, cordless phones, and the like. Now for those renting, such devices may be all they can utilize. Secondly, while you're waiting for that replacement to come in, what're you using to stand between it and another modest surge? I get no great satisfaction in hearing that Trojan replaced my condom because it broke while being used. That's how you get babies named 'OOPS'.

15. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

16. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

So nothing else in the person's apt or house was damaged, just the protectors.

17. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator