"Clean" Power in an Apartment

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by William.C.Maune, Oct 23, 2003.

1. William.C.Maune

William.C.Maune Auditioning

I've been considering the next upgrade to my home theatre and I think I should probably upgrade from the $8 powerstrip bought at Staples. The first thing I looked at was the Monster products and in the budget I'm looking at I think the best value for me is the Powerbar 2100. It has 12 outlets, a high Joule rating and the features on the more expensive Clean Power Stage 2 models don't seem to be worth the added cost. Their Clean Power Stage 3 is out of my budget. I've also looked at some of the TrippLite products. They look interesting, and cheaper, but I'm having a hard time trying to compare them to what Monster has available.

I have done some research in these forums, but most of the comments I have seen are for people in houses. Being in an apartment, I can't hire an electrician to do any work on my place. As for my power concerns, besides living in an apartment building, the power does odd things here sometimes ("blinks" in the power), the power does go out once in awhile and I'm in Missouri and thus we are prone to severe thunderstorms for a significant amount of the year. I've already had lightning fry an iMac through the cable modem. Does anyone have any comments on either of these products or any others? I need at least 12 outlets whether that be one product or two that together still fall in the price range. Thanks for the help!

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

You might want to begin with renters insurance that covers your electronics and maybe talk to building management to see if they've got some sort of transient protection already in place at their mains. However that's a dear price to pay considering that a pair of Stratitecs would set you back about $40. In either case though, you haven't addressed the issue of the power glitches. Is this a big concern of yours?

3. William.C.Maune

I have renter's insurance through my parents' insurance, although since I'm 23 I'm not sure how much longer that will last. I'll have to talk to building management about the other issue. I checked out the Stratitecs and the S5280 (Had to remove the URL since I haven't made 15 posts) looks promising. However, I noticed in another thread it was mentioned that these types of devices have a finite life span. The life span is still probably long enough, but I was curious as to how long it is.

As for the power glitches, the idea of better quality picture and audio through clean power intrigued me. I'm especially concerned about the lightning and such since I already lost part of a computer. That may not fall under the "glitch" category though. How exactly are "power glitches" defined?

4. William.C.Maune

I guess I'll look for the Stratitec unless there are any further suggestions. It looks pretty good for the money, especially considering the accesories it comes with. Surely someone I know must have Sam's Club access.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

you can also contact them to see if they have additonal sources in your area. FWIW, directron.com also carries them but I don't 'think' it comes with a bundle and it's a little more. Other brands, on the inexpensive side, would be the Panamax Max line. Whatever you choose, since it's going to be point of use and you're unclear if the building has surge (lighting) protection, you want to go with a unit that has the most joules (something over 2500 sounds about right) and also has capabilities for you to plug in your cable or satellite as well. If you've got your pc hooked up to your system in any way, then you also want telco protection.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I did not see a significant difference in audio or video performance when I added my Panamax 4300. The power in my apartment is rather average also, prone to a few dims here and there (whenever I turn on my amp or receiver [​IMG] ). You should be more concerned about protecting the equipment from lightning, and Panamax units will definitely do that. Most of the units do not include 12 outlets, though they can be expanded to have more than enough for your needs with their add-on strips (must use theirs to maintain warranty).

Take a look at www.powersystemsdirect.com

7. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

I pay about $180 for an entire year of renters insurance for my apartment. It is worth the very small price, just make sure to take photos of all your gear etc. I use a TrippLite voltage regulator that appears to be working great with the occassional dips in voltage.

8. William.C.Maune

The person I talked to from building management couldn't seem to give me an answer, but I am going to assume whatever protection they may have isn't adequate since I've had computer fried already. I do need to take pictures of my stuff for insurance purposes.

I've only found 2 options that have a high enough joule rating, and coax protection, so I think it is between the Stratitec (Directron didn't have the specific one I was looking at, but they have a similar model) and the Tripp-Lite TLP1008TELTV. I get more outlets with the Stratitec though, thus I will probably go with that. Thanks for everyone's help!

9. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

Let's put it this way, if lightning really hits your equipment, no surge protector is going to do shit. The stuff is toast. They are good for the intermittent spikes here and there. That is what insurance is for.

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Not only take pictures, but you will need to keep all your receipts. You will want to keep them in a fireproof storage as well. If you were to have a fire, it won't do you any good if the receipts and pictures burn too.