1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

CLD-99 Sharpness Control

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay Mitchosky, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Does anyone have a technical explanation regarding the Sharpness control of the Pioneer ELITE CLD-9 laserdisc player, particularly in comparison to conventional sharpness adjustments?
    To elaborate, when adjusting Sharpness on my RPTV ghosting appears beside or horizontal to the test pattern lines when the control is set too high. However, when adjusting the Sharpness control on my CLD-99 (using the same pattern from Video Essentials) excessive levels introduce ringing above or vertical to the test pattern lines. Obviously both settings are at the point just below the introduction of high frequency peaking. How is the CLD-99's Sharpness setting acting differently? I ended up with it set at +3.
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

2. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Bjeorn Roy's site talks about this:
    http://home.t-online.de/home/bjoern....ml/Page_01.htm
    sounds like the difference between EE of vertical detail vs. horizontal detail.
    BTW, does your cld99 make a sqeaky noise when first spinning up a laserdisc? Mine does but sounds fine once it's spinning.
    -dave

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Bjeorn's discussion makes note of monitor sharpness adjustments in the horizontal plane in contrast to EE impact in all planes. But it doesn't really address the difference in hardware detail adjustments in the vertical plane, which is where my interest lies. His site is excellent for the EE discussion, although he's missing the worst culprit I've ever seen - Stargate. An awful transfer with incredibly ugly edge enhancement, particularly on the shots against the desert. Nasty. I can't even watch it.

4. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

5. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Jay, it's the LD-S9. Although it's a dedicated LD player, it's quite similar to the 99. It has a more advanced comb filter. It produces better colour than the 99. In the Japanese line-up, a player very similar to the 99 is the next player below it. Rob G. has one. Trivia..... I keep my sharpness in the standard settings on both my 99 and S9. Best wishes!
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! Remember, actual mileage may vary....
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 3 to go!

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I've asked others this question, but for some additional feedback I'll ask you guys aswell.
    How did you like the change from the 79 to the 99? How much of an improvement was it?

8. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer