CLD-79 Upgrade, Awesome!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike H, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Mike H

Mike H Stunt Coordinator

The subject says it all. I had a Pioneer Elite CLD-52 for playing laserdiscs since I got into them. I wasn't happy about the way they looked when I upgraded to 16x9 HDTV. I've dealt with it, and I've been looking into some way to make LDs look better. I also wanted better sound(Actually just the AC3 from Star Wars TPM).
    My first stop was Ebay and I purchased a CLD-606. At least I think that was the model #. The item arrived broken, and the seller refused to refund my money. I dealt with him and UPS for about 6 months. He still has the LD player, and my money but I don't really want to pursue it anymore. I gave up on that transaction and had put aside upgrading my LD system.
    I was perusing the Hardware for Sale area here a little while ago, and saw the CLD-79 forsale from another forum member. I put aside my doubt and purchased the LD player. It arrived tonight. The box was huge and well packed. It also came with a Sony Demodulator.
    Woo-hoo! I've put in about three titles so far. While the picture quality is not DVD, it is much better than Broadcast or Satellite. I've put in a few titles and all look better. I don't know if it's pyschological or not, but I'm happy. [​IMG] I need to upgrade my reciever to one that has more Coax digital connections, but other than that, I'm set. The Pod race on the LD is awesome, and I like it better than the DVD version.
    My next upgrade is a HTPC with a video capture card. I hope DScaler can do a little bit more magic so I can drag a little bit more picture quality out of my laserdiscs.
    mike

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I also just went from a cld52 to a cld79. The difference is very noticeable. All my lasers look better. Got mine off of ebay brand new in the box! What a beautiful player. I couldn't be happier with it.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Mike, checkout the scene where Jah Jah and the Jedi have a "tank" go over them near the beginning of SWPM and try to tell me they didn't ruin the sound on that scene on the DVD. I doubt you'll be able to! I've had both these models and the CLD-52 was good in it's day, but the 79 blows it away. Happy viewing!

4. SHAWN SZILEZY

SHAWN SZILEZY Stunt Coordinator

Mike H,

Yet another happy CLD-79 owner. I have had mine for about 2 years now and would not give it up. It replaced a Sony MDP605 which I had for about 5 years. The difference in sound and image are very noticeable to say the least. Enjoy your player!

5. Mike H

Mike H Stunt Coordinator

Everytime I look at it, or even think about it I get a big cheezey grin. Indiana Jones, Star wars and about 100 other titles are probably going to get a viewing real soon now. [​IMG]
    Now that I've got a decent player I wonder if should continue to add to my Laserdisc collection. More big shiny discs, hrmm. Or more small shiny discs, hrmm. I'm probably going to go with the small ones, but my big discs are not going anywhere. Now that Eavlaser.com has destroyed the last of their discount laser collection I don't think I'm going to be buying much more.
    When I get done with the HTPC/Dscaler thing I'll definately be back with the results. I may also do some comparisions on a few 4:3 movies such as Snow White, and a few others.
    Mike

6. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Supporting Actor

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Mike, if you like the old or obscure fims keep on fishing for LD's. MGM & Warner and others are siting on all the old films with little apparent intrest to release stuff like:
    PUBLIC ENEMY
    WINGS OF DESIRE
    THEATER OF BLOOD
    THE THIN MAN
    BUSTER
    COMPULSION
    I AM THE LAW
    THE KEYS OF THE KINGDOM
    GUNGA DIN
    THE CINCINNATI KID
    MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON
    IT CAME FROM HOLLYWOOD
    I could go on and on! Not to mention the poular music of the 80's and 90's that isn't "popular" anymore and won't be on DVD. There's plenty of stuff to fish for, me thinks. Make your own list of DVD MIA's and most will be floating around on the big discs. Best wishes from Laserland!
    P.S.- Hi Matias! I hope your S9 comes in soon. E-mail me if you need a service manual. I'm looking for mucho orders to get the price down, hopefully. It was a bummer back when we were getting price gouged!!!!!
    [​IMG]

8. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Supporting Actor

Rachael B, Hi! [​IMG]
    Yes, I have just mailed Daniel to pay for the LD-S9.
    I must wait some month with my extra HLD-X9 because of
    some unexpected expenses.
    Thanks for the offer but I got one LD-S9 service manual from Hunter too. Too bad I didn't get a HLD-X0 service manual (hint) [​IMG]

9. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    [​IMG] Mattias, you are crazy! Have you been hit by hockey pucks repeatedly or something? Are you as insatiable about other things too? Best wishes to the future X0 owner I quess!!!!!!!