CLD-704 LD player is kaputt

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Michael Warner, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

So, after many years of faithful service my trusty old Pioneer CLD-704 Laserdisc player has begun giving a "no disc" error everytime a CD or LD is inserted. I thought I would ask for any suggestions on repairing the player before I retire it. I really don't want to cast off my LD collection but I probably won't replace the player if it's well and truly dead as the 704s tend to go for a steep price these days.

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

You need to contact Kurtis Bahr. He is a LD guru. He is a member here but I haven't seen a post from him in a while. He also frequents the AVS forum, you could also post there and I'm sure he will respond. He's a great guy and is very helpful. You can also send the player off to him to be repaired and tweaked.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I second chatting with Kurtis before you make a decision. He's sharp! He'll proably know the problem if you describe it to him well. Good luck!

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Heck you could even try your local shop. It's probably the spindle motor, that's the component that gets the most wear on a LD player. When mine went on my LD player, the local fix-it shop replaced it for $180. Worth every penny.

5. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

Thanks for the replies. I popped the top off last night and what happens is the laser mechanism first moves to the outer LD position and lifts into place. Finding nothing there it then moves in to the CD position and lifts into place (I'm testing with a CD so I can see what's happening underneath). It doesn't recognize a disc there either so it moves back out to the standby position and gives the "no disc" error. At no point does the disc begin spinning. Does disc spin-up happen before or after it starts looking for a disc? If I knew that then I could isolate whether it's the motor or some other part that's gone south.

6. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Well looking at a cd player it starts spinning before the lasers hits it. Based on the other comments already made, it certainly sounds like the motor. The disc needs to be spinning for the laser to read it, I believe.

7. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I would second contacting Kurtis. I have a 704 (I'm saving for the basement) and a CLD-79 which Kurtis fixed. I actually bought a couple of spare parts which Kurtis recommended I do while they are still available. The Spindle Motor is (Pioneer) part no. VXA1986 and costs about $60.