What's new

CLD-604 LD player DTS out stopped working? (1 Viewer)

Bruce N

Second Unit
I sold my old Pioneer CLD-604 LD player to a friend a while ago after I picked up a CLD-99. He recently called me and said that he couldn't get any DTS output anymore.

He's using the optical output into his receiver. We know the optical cable and input are good because he switched it with the DVD player. He says the output on the player is glowing red.

Do you have to enable the DTS output on this player? I can't remember. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Bruce

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
The red should be normal. Perhaps he changed something on the receiver menu that won't allow the recognition of DTS? I don't recall seeing an LD players with an item like that. Does the output pass regular PCM (e.g. try a CD) to the receiver? Other than that, I would send an E-Mail to Kurtis Bahr at: [email protected]

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
if it passes PCM then it is the recievers fault not the LD.
DTS was designed to be backward compatable on LD or cd for that matter (same PCM), all it needed was a digital bit stream output.

Bruce N

Second Unit
Thanks for the tips! I'll tell him to try a CD. I'm going over there on Friday to help him set up his pair of SVS 16-46CS+ subs!!

Bruce

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
There's nothing to "enable" because LD players only have one digital track and only recognize one kind of bitstream (PCM or DTS-disguised-as-PCM). The test with the CD should confirm whether it's the player or the receiver.

M.

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
It could be some some sort of bug between the reciever and 604 player. I have this problem with my Onkyo 797 and the Pioneer CLD 704 player, If I completely power down the 797 and then power it up and try a DTS encoded laserdisc. The DTS indicator light will come on the 797 but no sound. The work around I have found is to eject the DTS laserdisc and play another laserdisc in PCM first then eject it. Then put the DTS encoded laser back in and it plays fine. I read about this problem here at HTF about a year ago with different recievers and nobody had a answer for the problem then. Can anbody shed some light on this issue now.

Bruce N

Second Unit
Well it's working now. I spoke w/ him yesterday and he said it just started working again. Hmmm... Maybe operator error?

Thanks for all the great tips!!
Bruce

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Perhaps the optical cable was loose, or a speck of dust got into the connection. (Optical connections have to be kept very clean; that's why there's plug to protect the input when it's not in use.)

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks