classified ads, what a ripoff.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Philip_G, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

What does it cost to run an add in your town?
    A basic 3 line automobile ad in denver runs 69 bucks [​IMG]

Autotrader is less expensive, but hasn't generated a single call.

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I lised on craigslist weeks ago, one reply, a kid offering me below trade in value. Such a low ball offer it's rediculous. I guess you gotta pay for exposure.

4. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

WOW ... $69 is a rip!

Here in DE, a 4 line auto ad is $22.50 for 5 days. There is really only 1 local paper in my county and most every one sees it, so thats a circulation of about 220,000 daily readers. Also, all printed ads also generate a free 10 day listing on www.cars.com

Last year I had to sell 2 cars. My conclusion was that the local paper is still your best bet, dxespite all the "Auto Trader" type mags & websites. You need to be prepared to list your car for 3-4 weeks continuously. Also, get mechanical problems fixed before selling and pay $100 for detailing ... you'll get it all back.

One final really good tip I received was to get & print a CARFAX report on your vehicle. You can often find a link to a free coupon for these, otherwise $20. Give a copy to ALL prospective buyers for piece of mind. CARFAX lists ownership history and tracks major service. Basically it shows the buyer that you have NOT rolled back the odometer and your car was never in a flood.

5. MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano Second Unit

6. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Philip, I had the same problem here trying to sell my wehicle. I wasted 150 bucks running ads for 20 days and All I got were calls from people offering me 1k below the low end trade value at places like KBB. They would go in there or Edmunds, look at the base value without putting in for stuff like Air Conditioning, Auto Transmission, CD Player. And then argue with me saying that I was trying to screw them.

I ended up going to Carmax and did not get exactly what I wanted, but got at least $2,500 more than these yokels were offering. Carmax sold my vehicle about a week after they listed it for another $1500 more.

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

That's my problem lee, it's a nissan sentra, while a '02 sentra might sell for 8k, I assure you a loaded SE-R spec-v does not. No one adds in money for the sunroof, expensive factory fosgate stereo option, or even considers that the se-r is like 5k more than a sentra, and the specv is more on top of that. [​IMG]

I detailed it myself, the car was clean to begin with and now it looks like new. I put a new windshield in last weekend, waxed it, shampood the seats and carpet and washed the mats, which are only a couple months old anyhow. I also touched up all the little chips and dings from other cars. The mothers wax I used makes the car look nice and wet, I'm happy with it....except now the car IS wet because I got caught in a thunderstorm on the way home from the "local" 24 plex tonight.

8. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Well, here in the SF Bay Area craigslist is golden. I found my "new" car there a couple weeks ago. Worked like a charm. But maybe the other regions haven't caught on yet. But hey, it's free! Good luck!

-Christian

9. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

stupid classifieds, not a single call this weekend. One other car like mine in the paper at 1500 bucks higher.

10. Jacinto

Jacinto Second Unit

Jacinto
    Philip,

I sold my Pathfinder last fall and I had a similar response from the Denver classifieds. In four weeks I got five total calls, and two people who actually came to look at it. After seeing the car, they both agreed that it was worth what I was asking, if not more, but it was a lot more than they wanted to spend. Out of frustration, I listed it on cars.com (with a photo), lowered the price $250.00, and got a call within twelve hours. The sale was completed 5 days later. Had I known, I would have gone with cars.com at the outset and saved myself $82 on the classified ads.

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

As part of the classifieds package the car is listed on cars.com as well, and autotrader.com

12. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Sell it on ebay. Seriously. My Dad bought a car that way, and he's happy.

13. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    When I was car shopping last Fall, I was talking to a coworker, a 40-ish fellow who owns a variety of cars. He tried to advise a young engineer (fresh out of college) not to buy the R-Type Sentra, since it would depreciate much more rapidly. Unfortunately, I think the sporty options (bigger engine, radio, etc.) lose value quickly and don't add as much to used-pricing as you'd hope.

Hopefully you can find someone looking for that type of car who appreciates the value like you do.

Can you say you're selling it so soon? It's practically brand new.