What's new

"Classics" you hate? (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
How many more threads are we going to have like this?
:)
2001: A Space Odyssey
- Cinematically and technically great. Just really, really, really, really, really, really dull and boring
The Haunting (both versions)
- I hate the original because I hate weak female characters who bitch 24/7, and I hate the remake because it was extremely lame (who ever heard of a horror film that unintentionally made people laugh).
Rosemary's Baby
- Paranoid woman, languid pacing, and a laughable ending make this supposed study in terror an exercise in silliness. "Ooh, let's have a tea party for Satan's baby!!!" :rolleyes
A Place in the Sun
- Boring
Giant
- More boring than A Place in the Sun
Midnight Cowboy
- Boring, depressing, and I liked it better when it was John Steinback's novel Of Mice and Men.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I wouldn't say I "hate" these movies but if I never see them again then I have no problem.

Vertigo

Rear Window(imo just didn't live up to the hype)

2001(might rent again soon to see if age has changed my opinion)

Citizen Cane( I only saw the first 5 minutes and turned it off)

Animal House

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
I didn't like Vertigo on first viewing, but I adore it now. Same for The Shining.

off the top of my head I truly can't think of a "classic" that I hate. There must be one. Hmmm.....

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I should have stayed out of this thread. I may never be able to speak to any of you again. :laugh:

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
I loathe Bringing Up Baby (and I mean LOATHE) and I think both Blade Runner and 2001: A Space Odyssey can be 10-15 minutes shorter. (Ducks flaming projectiles) I am also not a big fan of The Exorcist and The French Connection.

On the other hand, I really like Lawrence of Arabia and The Great Escape so length isn't really an issue.

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
I don't hate any of these films, but I just didn't find them that entertaining:

The Godfather (although the second one was much better)

Lawrence of Arabia

The Exorcist

American Beauty

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I didn't find Some Like it Hot all that funny, and I was extremely bored by A Clockwork Orange and Patton.

JessV

Agent
The only movie I can think of off the top of my head that I've really hated is Scary Movie. Classics I just didn't get or care for:
The English Patient - It looked beautiful, but I don't think the scenery was supposed to be the most moving part.
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Ditto above. I'm not sure if this is quite a classic right now. I adore the book though.
Star Wars: A New Hope
Some Like It Hot - Like ScottR, I just didn't find it that funny. "Nobody's perfect" was great, but not enough to make up for the rest of the movie.
The Wizard of Oz

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
It is taking a lot of strength for me to not comment on some of the films mentioned.

I would have to say that I hate West Side Story and Splendor In The Grass. This is pretty mild compared to all the blashemy goin' down in this thread.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Right! You guys are all going into my little black book!

I'm happy to say I vehemently (ooh love that word) disagree with all your choices, where the hell is that tongue smiley?

Hang on a min, ok here you go.:p)

ps. I'm not a huge fan of ET, if that can be called a classic.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Holding back anger against all those that mentioned 'Gone With the Wind.' But, I'll just love it that much more to make up for you hating it.;)
I can't stand 'The Sound of Music.'

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
The original Star Wars trilogy, with the possible exception of The Empire Strikes Back - just a bunch of overblown kids films, and I find it distinctly amusing that everyone criticises George Lucas for doing exactly the same thing as he did 20 years ago with The Phantom Menace.

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
"Blazing Saddles": This is one of the most unfunniest movies I've ever seen !!! I swear I don't understand it's appeal.

A year ago I would have had "Citizen Kane" as the number #1 classic that I hate. I totally agree with John Robertson.

Oh, come on! Buy the DVD, watch the whole film through, watch it again with Roger Ebert's commentary, then watch The Battle over Citizen Kane on disc two, then tell me you don't like it!
Maybe you still won't love Citizen Kane but at least you'll understand why so many others do. It's mostly for the technical aspects of film making that it pioneered more than it's a great drama, etc. Took me quite a while to figure all this out. Ebert's commentary showed me the way.

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
I'd love to see more concise reasons for some of these choices (and no, "It sucked" or "It was boring" don't count. Some of my choices:
Gone with the Wind -- the film is well-crafted, but I don't like the apologist attitude it has towards slavery (all slaves in the movie are happy and well-treated...the film makes it look like the practice was a good thing.
Birth of a Nation -- see above...it's an important film, but morally repellent.
Breakfast at Tiffany's -- I switched it off as soon as the Mickey Rooney character appeared. I don't need to see that kind of racial stereotyping.
Bringing Up Baby -- poorly staged sight gags and rapid-fire delivery can't hide the fact that the dialogue is inane and the storyline vapid. It has the feel of a screwball comedy, but lacks the wit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks