Classics Please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Littlejohn, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Mark Littlejohn

Could you guy give me some classics movies. I mean movies that you can watch and enjoy over and over.Old or new are welcome.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Mark Littlejohn

I know you guys have movies that are great , Im just trying to upgrade my collection with movies than I can really enjoy, Lately I am very careful as to what movies I add to my collection just so I'll have great stuff. I would like some classics old or new some of your ALL TIME GREATS.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. andrew markworthy

Mark, to be frank, this is practically impossible to answer without some idea of your tastes. There is a core set of about 200 or so movies which practically everyone will agree are 'classics'. However, whether you will personally *like* all of them is open to doubt. To take just one example - I agree with the statement that The Wizard of Oz is a classic, and I can appreciate its technical and historical importance. However, I also *personally* find it irredeemably vulgar, and would sooner have root cavity work than ever watch it again.

What I'm trying to say is that I or indeed other members of the forum could give you huge lists of what we consider to be classic movies, but whether you would *enjoy* them all equally is a moot point. If you could indicate what types of movie you like, then this would at least narrow down the field.

If you're looking for classics regardless of enjoyment, then absolute safe bets include:

Citizen Kane

Belle et la Bete

Seventh Seal

Last Year in Marienbad

Rules of the Game

Seven Samurai

Les Enfants du Paradis

The Third Man

2001: A Space Odyssey

Casablanca

Wild Strawberries

[all these are either out already in R1 or should be coming out in the next few months]

These certainly need to be seen again and again and be scrutinised in minute detail to appreciate their qualities. However, I'm not guaranteeing that you'll like them!

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Andrew, I can watch Oz up until the tornado. In fact, that's all I ever watch it for. That tornado is still the best movie storm of all time; it looks more realistic than those CGI excesses in Twister. But as soon as those damn Munchkins show up, forget about it.

5. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Sticking with English-language films for now...
    Criterion has fine editions of the following classics:
    The Third Man
    Sullivan's Travels
    My Man Godfrey
    The Lady Eve
    Notorious
    Rebecca

Columbia has put out some nice versions of:
    His Girl Friday
    Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
    It Happened One Night
    Lost Horizon

You should also check out Universal's Classic Monster Series, especially the first wave.
    Here's a few more:
    Paths of Glory
    Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
    The Philadelphia Story
    The Train
    Of Mice and Men (1939)
    Odd Man Out
    Casablanca
    Key Largo
    The Big Sleep
    The Maltese Falcon
    Arsenic and Old Lace
    Lawrence of Arabia
    Ben-Hur
    Doctor Zhivago
    The Bridge on the River Kwai

and of course, Citizen Kane
    I have the above titles in my collection; I'm sure the other guys will have plenty of other suggestions... [​IMG]

6. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Mark,
    Without knowing what your tastes are, it is a little difficult to make recommendations. You might want to consider some of the lists on this site as a starting point.
    Of the films in your collection, do you have favorites? If so, you might want to examine additional films by the directors of those films you enjoy. For me, this is one of the most reliable indicators of a film's value. Your mileage may differ, of course.
    If you are trying to expand beyond your current set of film interests ( whatever those may be. [​IMG] ) you might want to consider films directed by Alfred Hitchcock, Akira Kurosawa, Martin Scorsese, Stanley Kubrick, Howard Hawks, John Ford, and David Lean ( off the top of my head. )
    - Watler.

7. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

There are so many, and it really depends on your taste. You haven't really given us any info about what you think is a classic (for some people 70's films are classics and anything before that is too old to consider).

Anyway, here are some of mine for what it's worth:

THE APARTMENT

THE GODFATHER

CASABLANCA

CITIZEN KANE

SOME LIKE IT HOT

STAR WARS

DR. STRANGELOVE

THE GODFATHER, PART 2

REAR WINDOW

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

NORTH BY NORTHWEST

CHINATOWN

VERTIGO

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY

THE GOLD RUSH (1925)

TOY STORY

PLANES, TRAINS & AUTOMOBILES

JAWS

PSYCHO

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN

DUCK SOUP

TOY STORY 2

BACK TO THE FUTURE

MODERN TIMES

BLAZING SADDLES

IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE

THE WIZARD OF OZ

E.T.

THE GRADUATE

THE AFRICAN QUEEN

MASH

SNOW WHITE & THE SEVEN DWARFS

IT’S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD

HOPSCOTCH

THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN

MONTY PYTHON & THE HOLY GRAIL

THE PRINCESS BRIDE

TO HAVE & HAVE NOT

ADAM’S RIB

THE BIG SLEEP

ANIMAL HOUSE

DOUBLE INDEMNITY

A HARD DAY’S NIGHT

CHARADE

FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE

GOLDFINGER

THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY

THE MALTESE FALCON

THE LADY VANISHES

PILLOW TALK

STALAG 17

THE STING

THE 39 STEPS

THE GREAT ESCAPE

BUTCH CASSIDY & THE SUNDANCE KID

THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE

BLADE RUNNER

RETURN OF THE JEDI

DIE HARD

ROSEMARY’S BABY

THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI

L.A. CONFIDENTIAL

THE SOUND OF MUSIC

THE ODD COUPLE

WHAT’S UP DOC?

TERMINATOR 2

BRINGING UP BABY

THE TERMINATOR

STRANGERS ON A TRAIN

THE THIN MAN

GROUNDHOG DAY

WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT?

THE DIRTY DOZEN

M (1931)

THE PHILADELPHIA STORY

THE THIRD MAN

INDIANA JONES & THE LAST CRUSADE

GREASE

WEST SIDE STORY

NATIONAL LAMPOON’S VACATION

SULLIVAN’S TRAVELS

THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH

AMERICAN GRAFFITI

VICTOR/VICTORIA

TO BE OR NOT TO BE (1942)

THE COURT JESTER

BEN-HUR (1959)

REBECCA

HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING

MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON

A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM

THE BLUES BROTHERS

BEAUTY & THE BEAST (ANIMATED)

MY FAIR LADY

ALIENS

HIGH NOON

THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS

THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY’S

LAURA

TOP HAT

THE PRODUCERS

OUT OF THE PAST

SORRY, WRONG NUMBER

SABRINA (1954)

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT

FANTASIA

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND

THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE

THE FRENCH CONNECTIONCITY LIGHTS

ROCKY

FRANKENSTEIN

PATTON

GOODFELLAS

UNFORGIVEN

8. Mark Littlejohn

Andrew the thing is Im a movie buff, I like movies of all sorts. I don't really have a favorite catagory Im pretty much open minded. I thought Citizen Kane was great, but I also thought Shaw Shank Red was great. Usually you guys give good advice so Ill pick out what I dont have, and if I see the same suggestions on movies I haven't seen, then I will most likely pick them up. What this does Andrew is at least give me some sense of hope in my movie selections.

9. Mark Littlejohn

Sorry guys ,I should have narrowed it down......lets say 5 movies. George your overwelming me, but aleast if no one answers this post I can use your suggestions.

10. george kaplan

Just take the first 5 off my list that you haven't seen and you'll have a damned fine film festival for yourself [​IMG].
    I included some that aren't yet on dvd, it wasn't clear whether you only wanted ones on dvd.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

12. Dave Barth

Dave Barth Stunt Coordinator

13. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    to reiterate what i said in the movies thread dealing with this same subject, I'm posting some of my thoughts on some of my favorite movies (rather than just a meaningless long list of names)
    King Kong: everybody should see Kong, it's one of, if not the greatest action/adventure movie ever made, it's only real competition in this genre is Raiders of the Lost Ark, The film still holds up today, the action is riviting, and the film is made with real passion by the filmmakers; it is slightly dated with it's semiracist portrayal of Charlie the chinese cook, but that can easily be looked over.
    How Green was my Valley: John Ford's masterpiece is often dismissed as the film that was picked over citizen kane, but what many people fail to realize is that it is one of the great films of all times, from one of the greatest directors of all time. How Green Was my Valley is a sprawling family epic, it is moving and tragic, the subject matter will often shock you (divorce, premarital pregnancy, church hypocrisy, faith, child labor, Labor unions all thrown agains the background of a family inexorably breaking apart at the seams. The acting is superb, the cinematography is breathtaking, and the story is heartwrenching. This is the film every family drama (legends of the fall, ordinary people) wants to live up to but fails miserably. If I had to pick a single film from citizen kane's era to compete with it, it would be How Green was my Valley.
    Paths of Glory: Stanley Kubrick's most straightforward film is one of his best. The cinematography is of course fantastic, the acting is superb, and the script is still delightful even today (example, two soldiers discuss the merits of being killed quickly versus slowly, something that seems very tarentino or scorsese). The film is darkly antiwar, and has an incredible impact on everybody who sees it.
    Ben-Hur: The epic to end all epics. Films just cannot compare with Ben-Hur on any level, the acting is of course fantastic, the script is great, the action and story move swiftly along, and it is capped by one hell of an ending. Ben-Hur is so big and it has been parodied so often that at first the cyncial movie goer might only see a happy ending and a lot of homoeroticism, but everyone should try to see this sans Mel brooks and other parody artists cynicsim.
    The Man who Shot Liberty Valance: My single favorite western, stars Jimmy Stewart and John Wayne. In Liberty Valance, both hero's are flawed, the West is violent and mean, and things don't turn out the way you expect. The resolution is not so much sad, as melancholy. Something of a swan song to the tradtional western hero of Shane and High Noon, Ford laments the passing of a more idealistic time in filmmaking, but at the same time makes a marvelous film in the new prevailing attitudes of cynicism and sarcasm that was beginning in the sixties.
    The 400 Blows: Trufautt's first film, a fantastic piece. 400 Blows is the quintessential coming of age story, it is rarely matched, often imitated and given homages, 400 blows is one of the paragons of world cinema, this shoudl be one of the first foreign films you watch if you are unfamiliar with foreign film, it is accessible and enjoyable, and it is still relevant today, dealing with themes and topics in a frank and unashamed manner. A beautiful story, beautifully told.
    The Apartment: One of Billy Wilder's best film, a fantastic romantic comedy that doubles as a corporate satire. the preformances are marvelous, teh script witty and moving, and the execution (as so many Wilder films are) is absolutely flawless. A must see, one of the great American films.
    Scarface: the Shame of a Nation (1932): The original Scarface is brilliantly done, and should be better remembered. Paul Muni does a fantastic job, and the direction is extremely clever in dealing with murder, drugs, and incest in 1932. This film, along with Little Caesar raised the bar for ganster films the way that 2001 did for science fiction and Fellowship of the rings is doing for fantasy.
    happy viewing :)
    Adam

14. george kaplan

15. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

I've been watching Turner Classic Movies and American Movie Classics nearly every night lately. Watched Casablanca for the 1st time last week. Wow! That Ingrid Bergman was something else! Watched The Bells Of St. Mary's with Bing Crosby and Ingrid Bergman last night. That is the first movie I have ever seen of Bing Crosby's believe it or not, and was completely overwhelmed by just his presence on the screen. He had that "high watchability" factor that few actors have. Bing had it in spades. I was glued to the TV during the whole movie. Just watched Gone With The Wind for the 1st time yesterday too.

Yep, I am cathcing up on the old movies these days and am loving every minute of it.

16. Tim RH

Tim RH Second Unit

17. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

18. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>Ben-Hur: The epic to end all epics.

19. Mark Littlejohn

George I thought your list was fantastic, I saved them so that I can go back and check some of them out. And your one hundred percent right, I didn't specify so you list was ok. Thanks, also I would like to add the link that Walter added was perfect.

20. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis